Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ianbutton1
Enthusiast
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Ian Button

Partial cluster volume backup?

Post by ianbutton1 »

Is there a way to backup just part of a cluster volume?
I want to test speed & feasibility of VAW Upgrade 4A to backup our main user filesystem cluster. I don't want to backup all 10TB just for a test, but I can't see any exclusion option, after I've chosen the volume.
In fact, if successful I'd want to split the job up into groups of folders and run them in parallel - is that possible too, or would the snapshot force the jobs to run separately/chained?
TIA
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Partial cluster volume backup?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Ian,

Unfortunately there is no way to process cluster disk without failover cluster (as we need to track the owner of the cluster resource in order to perform backup). May I ask why you need to split the cluster disk in the smaller backup jobs (performance or retention based of file types)? Thanks!
ianbutton1
Enthusiast
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Ian Button

Re: Partial cluster volume backup?

Post by ianbutton1 »

Thanks Dima - I feared I was asking the impossible, but it is a pity. Our user filesystem is split across two cluster disks 15TB and 10TB, shared by two cluster node servers. Each disk has its own IP address and Windows computername, so I had hoped that if I installed VAW on both the cluster nodes, Veeam would be able to find an agent on whichever node the disks were assigned, and I could backup the files by just specifying the cluster-disk name & path. But it doesn't work - the VAW scan fails.
I wanted to run jobs in parallel in order to speed up processing - 15TB is a lot to check in a single job, even with CBT. And if it fails, I don't want to re-do half of the whole job (on average). I'd prefer to keep individual jobs limited to 2-3TB.
Maybe this is another area where a competing product that has a longer history of backing up physical servers, is still slightly ahead (we have been using a competitor several years). But I like VBR very much and look forward to Veeam overtaking the rest of the field asap!