Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
pronto
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Physical Agent Free Limitations

Post by pronto »

Servus Community,

we are currently in the process of reorganizing our licenses, as we would like to make use of the remaining capability to extend our license under the old license model. A colleague told us that the physical servers can also be secured with the free license and that they can also be integrated into the B&R console. I didn't think that was possible until now. As a limitation, he noted that the application aware backup would then not work, but we would not need that for the servers either. Is the integration of a free license agent now possible in the B&R console?

Thx & Bye Tom
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Physical Agent Free Limitations

Post by Mildur »

Hi Tom

Are you talking about the free gifted licenses which comes with the socket license?
You can use this licenses (1 per Socket, max 6 gifted licenses) for Agent Backups of physical servers.
1x Server requires 1 license. Application Aware Processing can also be used and it's recommend to enable it for windows machines.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
pronto
Expert

Post by pronto »

Servus Fabian,

to be honest, I don't know exactly what I'm talking about :? A friend of a colleague said that we don't really need paid Windows agents for our physical Windows servers. Currently, we have a license for 10 instances (factor of 1.5 per server), backing up four physical servers. Since we are still postponing the new license model as long as we can and according to the reseller it is no longer possible to license pysical instances, we need a solution for the physical servers. So at least one server we need to backup. The other three would be nice to have. That's when the free agent came into the discussion. In my opinion, it had the limitation that it could not be integrated into the B&R console, but the colleague said that only the Application Aware Backup would not work. We would not need Application Aware Backup, because only data partitions are backed up. The Windows operating system on this server is also not backed up today.

If it could be licensed through the sockets, that would be possible as well. Currently we have six sockets licensed, but only need four of them.

Thx & Bye Tom
pronto
Expert

Post by pronto »

Servus Fabian,

yes, it is the free gifted license. My colleague has just confirmed that we once received two sockets as a gift. That explains the two unused sockets.

Thx & Bye Tom
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Tom

If you use the free Agent which is available for Home User, you won't have Application Aware Processing and you can't send the backups to a Veeam Backup Server.

You have a 6 socket licenses, so you will get 6 gifted license instances for non VM workloads.
The socket license can only be used for hypervisor VM backups (HyperV + vSphere). But you can use this 6 gifted licenses for your physical windows server.
First you must create a protection group and add all 4 physical windows server on the VBR server. Then you can create a backup job to backup the physical machines to the backup repositories of the VBR server.
You can read more about it in our Quick Start Guide for backing up physical machines.
pronto
Expert

Post by pronto »

Servus Fabian,

okay, thanks for your clarifications. I have now analyzed your answer again with a colleague and we would have one more question to avoid possible misunderstandings. You wrote the following:
You have a 6 socket licenses, so you will get 6 gifted license instances for non VM workloads.
The socket license can only be used for hypervisor VM backups (HyperV + vSphere). But you can use this 6 gifted licenses for your physical windows server.
Can we understand that with this "gifted" six socket license, we can use six sockets for our VMWare Hyporvisor machines and additionally backup another six physical machines with it?

Sorry we are not native English speakers but now it comes down to the details.

Thx & Bye Tom
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Tom
Can we understand that with this "gifted" six socket license, we can use six sockets for our VMWare Hyporvisor machines and additionally backup another six physical machines with it?
Yes, exactly. You can backup your VmWare Environment with 6 sockets with the bought socket license.
And you can backup 6 physical servers with the free gifted licenses.

I will write you a DM shortly in German :)

Thanks
Fabian