Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 731 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Physical Exchange Backups - DAG

Post by Dima P. » Jan 16, 2019 7:22 pm

will I still need to chain backup jobs for the IP-less DAG solution so they are processed at separate times or can they all be in the same job?
You can use a single backup job for that. Job chaining is not required.
It seems as though both options copy both active and passive databases regardless.
That's correct.

ianbutton1
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Ian Button

Post by ianbutton1 » Feb 08, 2019 1:15 pm

I have the same issue - DAG backup using VBR 9.5 Update 4 is processing all copies of every database. This seems unnecessary and takes a lot of extra time when we have 3 servers each with about 5TB of mailbox databases - 53 hours so far for the initial Full! That's 10TB of unnecessary data being pushed around our network - pretty inefficient. Backup of just the passive member should be sufficient. It will be interesting to see how the incrementals perform over the next few days.

doum
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Benoit Machiavello

Post by doum » Feb 08, 2019 2:16 pm

Hi,

we have an Exchange 2016 DAG, on two physical servers (2012 R2).
We was waiting for 9.5 U4 to migrate the backup of exchange to veeam because I had read that 9.5 U4 will be exchange DAG aware...but it seems I'm wrong ?

Our database are currently half active on one node, and half active on another node.
with our current backup software, we can backup only passive DB.

Is it possible currenlty with veeam 9.5 U4 to backup exchange node and backup only passive database on each node ?
Backup all DB two times is a important time and more important space loose

I can't find any clear procedure to how configure an exchange DAG with Veeam and what's new with 9.5 U4

thanks for your help

doum
Novice

Post by doum » Feb 10, 2019 7:55 pm

Just to fully understand

why did you say that it would be included in 9.5u4 and finally say that even in 9.5u4 Veeam will backup the active and passive databases?

Finally, what is changing in 9.5u4 regarding Exchange DAG ?
I may return the internet, but I don't see any difference with before.

andyman3000
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Andy Perkins

Post by andyman3000 » Feb 11, 2019 3:35 am

R-low if it’s any help I am backing up a single 6 node physical DAG. 3 in DR 3 in Prod. I do not point to the dag via protection group or build a job off of that as it would enumerate all 6 nodes in two locations pointing to one backup repository. Correct me if I’m mistaken but dag is more of a geo cluster not failover cluster.

I have one job for 3 in prod to the prod repo with app processing enabled. And it seems to clear the exchange logs as needed, as the nodes are active in prod.

Second job of 3 in DR to a DR repo.

Each server is backed up and I believe is having redundant copies of the databases.

Second note I am very sorry you have to backup to Store Once CIFS. We bought the Agent licensing thinking Catalyst would work and to our surprise it did not. We were competing for resources for VMware Catalyst backups and it put me through hell for months. I’m happy to report I’ve moved Agent jobs to HPE Apollo windows based repos with DAS.

But aside I did not get this bad of performance in incrementals. I am curious what is your storage settings set at for your StoreOnce CIFS repos as well what is your compression set to on the job. My job compression was set to Dedupe friendly. Repo was set to per backup files, local target, I’ll check the other setting when I get back maybe they will help you.

-Andy

ianbutton1
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Ian Button

Post by ianbutton1 » Feb 11, 2019 9:55 am

Andy - if this is what works best, perhaps Veeam should change the instructions for IP-based DAG backup in their documentation https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4
(Doum - this is the new stuff about DAG backups)
But I followed these instructions and all servers were backed up! 53 hours for a Full (3 servers, 4.5 TB each=14TB), 8 hours for an incremental (support case id 03360737).

I quite agree about the lack of Catalyst support for Agents - it's a dreadful hole in Veeam's coverage, given that the agents should hand them the market for backing up physical Windows & Solaris machines. And I can't even do a scheduled file copy job to a StoreOnce CIFS repo, never mind to a Catalyst store.

-Ian

doum
Novice

Post by doum » Feb 11, 2019 10:24 am 1 person likes this post

For me it's not a correct management of a DAG.

Having to backup each database two times (or more if you have more that 2 copies) is absolutly inefficient
Even our old, crappy backup system was able to backup only passive database since exchange 2010...

Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » Feb 12, 2019 2:48 pm

Hi folks,

Let me sum up your last questions.
I had read that 9.5 U4 will be exchange DAG aware...but it seems I'm wrong ?
Yes Veeam B&R 9.5 U4 is Exchange aware. You can create managed by backup server job with the type failover cluster which was not possible before
Is it possible currenlty with veeam 9.5 U4 to backup exchange node and backup only passive database on each node ?
Unfortunately that's not possible in current version. Backup is created on the image level without additional exclusions.
Finally, what is changing in 9.5u4 regarding Exchange DAG ?
Before Update 4 the only option for DAG was to create a single backup job for every node and use job chaining to protect entire DAG.
I quite agree about the lack of Catalyst support for Agents - it's a dreadful hole in Veeam's coverage, given that the agents should hand them the market for backing up physical Windows & Solaris machines. And I can't even do a scheduled file copy job to a StoreOnce CIFS repo, never mind to a Catalyst store.
Catalyst support is planned and we are working on it.
Having to backup each database two times (or more if you have more that 2 copies) is absolutly inefficient
I agree that processing can be improved and will add all your votes to this feature request.

doum
Novice

Post by doum » Feb 12, 2019 3:09 pm

Ah ok

thank you for these clarifications.
I didn't understand that the difference was the native support of the DAG via the cluster instead of having to create 2 jobs.

I'm currently doing the first full backup of our exchange DAG.
20 hours to backup the first server. It's gonna take 20 hours to backup the second one too.

let's hope that the following incrementals are faster: D

Thank you for the votes on the feature. By the way, do you have a uservoice or something similar?

Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » Feb 12, 2019 4:28 pm 1 person likes this post

Benoit,

Thanks for the update! We track user requests or votes from the forums and then update our internal tracking system.