Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
raymix
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Raimonds Virtoss

Q: Remote configuration and Monitoring

Post by raymix »

Hi guys

First of all thank you for such a great product guys, hats off. I am fully aware that Backup and Replication does not fully support managing endpoints (yet?), only act as a repo, which is fine.

I've two questions on this regard.

1) Where is local client's configuration kept? A file or registry?
I would like to set up a single client locally and create a script that could be deployed to clone these settings to the rest of the endpoints so I can avoid physically accessing each machine. I am using PDQ deploy (kind of like agent-less SCCM).

2) The SQL localDB you guys are using, is it possible to query it manually or the authentication details are hardcoded into VEB?
I'd like to create a small GUI powershell tool to remotely query SQL data to essentially create centralized backup monitor.
I've created something similar for Win7 backup&restore and file history (wasn't my choice, inherited this setup) where powershell script scans remote registries using RPC and saves data locally into CSV files, works great for the most part. But now it's time to get something better and more reliable for our roaming laptops.
http://imgur.com/gP5xbbu
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Q: Remote configuration and Monitoring

Post by Dima P. »

Hi raymix,

Glad to hear you like our product - thanks!
Where is local client's configuration kept? A file or registry?
It’s stored in the local database.
The SQL localDB you guys are using, is it possible to query it manually or the authentication details are hardcoded into VEB?
Access credentials are generated randomly for every VEB client during installation. By the way, general monitoring is possible via Veeam B&R console, additionality there is a Veeam Endpoint Backup management plugin for LabTech.
raymix
Influencer

Post by raymix »

Hi Dima

Thank you for your reply.

To be honest, that's actually good idea to keep everything within localDB, makes things easier.

If creds are randomly generated, can they still be retrieved somehow?
If I could get full access to databases of each deployed endpoint I could literary control their behavior with scripts locally or from a custom made console remotely.
For example changing schedules and backup targets on the go, maybe even change target to a USB drive if repository is not available (ie laptop is roaming).

Thank you.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

raymix,

I assume you can check the localsystem account permissions via sql management studio. This might work.
raymix
Influencer

Post by raymix » 1 person likes this post

Hi Dima

So far everything I've tried ended up me hitting the wall, even tried loading .mdf file after stopping veeam service, nope.

Do you guys have any plans of adding powershell or cmd commands to endpoints in future?
Something that would allow me to configure endpoints via script and maybe even query state of the last backup?
Even though we are replacing DPM with Veeam in near future, I'd rather stay away from spending more cash on LabTech - something we have no use for, if you know what I mean.

I greatly appreciate you taking your time answering my questions,
Thank you

-Ray
raymix
Influencer

Post by raymix »

I just realized I could set up a single computer and re-distribute localDB file to all other computers after I stop veeam db service.
Would this impose any issues?