Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
James99
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: James Alston

Query about Shadow Copy Optimization Writer Timeout

Post by James99 »

Hi!

My query is about this warning that appears in the email sent from VEB after a backup: "Unable to exclude files from snapshot: Shadow Copy Optimization Writer timed out (see Windows event log for more info)."

I realise this means extra files are backed up that I had deselected. That is not a problem for me. I wonder though, does this mean ALL files on the volume are being backed up? So I could select the whole volume without any deselected files, and the backup would be the same? Thanks.

--
James
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Query about Shadow Copy Optimization Writer Timeout

Post by Dima P. »

Hi James,
"Unable to exclude files from snapshot: Shadow Copy Optimization Writer timed out (see Windows event log for more info)."
This warning appears only when files were not excluded. Probably, you’ve selected a lot of files for file level backup exclusion list and VSS service was not able to process this list in the given time. Backup is such case is fully operational.
So I could select the whole volume without any deselected files, and the backup would be the same?
Yes.
James99
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: James Alston

Re: Query about Shadow Copy Optimization Writer Timeout

Post by James99 »

Thanks for the info. In that case I think I will select the entire volume with no exclusions (yes, there are many currently). By doing that I will get exactly the same backup (no larger) but without the warning each time. Thanks again.

--
James