Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ds2
Enthusiast
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Rene Keller

Question about "Backup once power on"-Option

Post by ds2 »

Hello guys,

good job with VEB 1.5.

I've a question about "Backup once power on"-Option.

If I need a WOL to wake a NAS or anything else after booting the PC then this option doesn't work good. There is a need for a delay the backup after power on. Is it posible to set a delay for the start of the Backup-Job (maybe 60 sec.)?

Greetings

ds2
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Question about "Backup once power on"-Option

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Rene,
Thank you, I am glad and proud you like the latest version :)
If I need a WOL to wake a NAS or anything else after booting the PC then this option doesn't work good.
If the regular job schedule wakes up your NAS with no issues – then this feature will work. If possible, please test it and share the results with us.
There is a need for a delay the backup after power on. Is it posible to set a delay for the start of the Backup-Job (maybe 60 sec.)?
The check is performed right after VEB service and tray components are booted. I assume you can set the VEB service to delayed start and that should help.
ds2
Enthusiast

Post by ds2 »

Hi Dima,
If the regular job schedule wakes up your NAS with no issues – then this feature will work. If possible, please test it and share the results with us.
There is no problem with the regular shedule, because the NAS is awake by power on the PC and stay on until the PC is shutdown. The WOL is send also by systemstart but the NAS needs some seconds for awakeing from sleep.
The check is performed right after VEB service and tray components are booted. I assume you can set the VEB service to delayed start and that should help.
I'll test it and post the results here.

Thanks and greets.
ds2
Enthusiast

Post by ds2 »

After several days of testing I can definitely say that the delayed launch of the service doesn't take long enough.

Therefore, I would make this to a feature request.

It is not necessary to have an option in seconds for the delay in the GUI, a registrykey would be sufficient.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Rene,

Thanks for testing. I think your request refers more to pre-job activity activities (pre job script to wake up the NAS box), right?
ds2
Enthusiast

Post by ds2 »

Not necessarily. In this case, the WOL is sent by another service at systemstartup. The only thing that would be needed is really the delaying of the backupjobexecution.

If the system is powerd on at the time for regular job execution then the NAS is also awake (NAS is always powered on so long one client is running). There is no need for a Postscript. A delay for excetuion is no problem here, it just start a little bit later.

However, if a missed job should be executed and it is the first client which is powerd on then the delay is needed so that the NAS was awakened.

Of course you could also write a postscript with a waittimer but I think an option or an regkey would be easier.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Rene,

Thanks for clarification. Counted as a feature request :wink:
ds2
Enthusiast

Post by ds2 » 1 person likes this post

Thanks Dima,

so long I had to return to windows task sehduler. Here is a delay aprox. 10 minutes after systemstart for missed tasks.

It works realy fine with W10-Clients, but with two W7-Clients it works not reliable. So I hoped "Backup once powered on" would helps.

I hope we would see an option or an regkey for an delay in one of the future versions of VEB.