Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
tfatcobra
Lurker
Liked: never

RAID 1 to RAID 1 backup and restore ?

Post by tfatcobra »

Hi everyone,

we have a Thinkserver td340 which I have already performed a full metal backup USB recovery usb using veeam. Would like to know best practice on how to restore the system to a new raid 1 array made up of SSDs. The current config is raid 1 2TB HDD in bay 0,1, would I insert the SSDs into bay 2,3 create a new raid, boot up the veeam rescue usb then restore from the image back up from the external USB source to the newly created RAID 1 ? or would I have to remove the HDD on bay 0,1 and insert the SSD's into bay 0,1, create the raid and then restore ? my main concern is fall back and preserving the data on the removed disks in case of the restore failing for any reason.

thanks in advance.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: RAID 1 to RAID 1 backup and restore ?

Post by Mildur »

Hello Tfatcobra

I cannot provide you any guidance on how to configure your hardware and raid controller to have a fallback option. To be fully honest, I have no experience on your server hardware and I do not want to provide any guidance which may lead to data loss.
Normally the RAID configuration is also stored on the disk itself. After plugin in the disks in the same order, the RAID controller should be able to import the RAID configuration and make the data readable again. Maybe you can ask that question in a Lenovo user community instead of our "Veeam R&D forum".

What I can tell you are the steps required by Veeam:

1.) Install your new disks
2.) Configure the RAID
3.) Create a Volume
4.) Boot from the Recovery Media
5.) Restore "entire machine" from your backup to the volume you have created

For the Recovery Media, make sure to include drivers (disk, network) when you create it in the Veeam Agent UI. As a fallback option with Veeam you can always connect your old disks and restore your backup back to the old disks.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software