Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
codejoy
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Shane Thomas

Recovering a volume that is a bootable OS

Post by codejoy »

I had an issue with a machine where some drivers got messed up. So i needed to recover that volume from 8 days ago. It is a windows 10 machine, this was a simple matter...so I thought.

First realize thanks to forum help here I have to create the recovery media. I did that abooted into it. Told veeam recovery I wanted to do a bare metal restore and then gave it the credentials for the veeam back upserver and selected the job to recover, and then when I tried to select a volume level restore. It failed with an error "The method or operation is not implemented". So a simple restore, fail. Okay, after back and forth with their support I realize there is a cloned drive in that machine. Cloned from when the machine was first built. So it wasn't fresh but functional (to be fair the other drive was functional too just borked with drivers etc hence wanting to revert).

So on the clone drive I installed veeam agent for windows. I told it to do a volume level restore to the other borked drive (which to windows looked like Drive F.) I had to go into the diskmapping to map the C: drive that was backed up to this drive F. I removed the partition and said restore with disk 0 -> C: (930.9 GB). Now the unallocated space is going on is... 930.9GB. Alas when I select this in the disk mapping I get an error:

"The volume is larger than the specified destination. Shrink the volume to fit the destination?". I say okay, because obviously anything else won't continue with the restore... So I say okay. Click go for it and see the summary :

Restored computer name: ARCSAT-USER
Restore point: 2/23/2021 9:31 AM
Restore mode: Full
Volume(s) to restore: C:\
Resized: volume C:\ from 930.9 GB to 930.9 GB

So then if I let this run, about 3 hours later, it says the restore is complete except then it says it failed to shrink the volume? So I cannot get this restore to work. I HAD TRIED to blow away the recovery partition and was going to merge that with the unallocated to give it more space. Then windows warned it would turn it into a dynamic disk and not be able to boot..well trying to recover the windows OS of that version so that was a no go.

Any ideas what else I can try? I am so disappointed that Veeam has totally failed in the one instance we needed this in a basic windows recovery. My name is mud at my work now for suggesting it and getting us to invest into veeam :/

The sizing issue seems almost like Windows being ridiculous. Just didn't know if there was workarounds.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Recovering a volume that is a bootable OS

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Shane,

I am sorry to hear that you faced this issue. Can you please share the support case ID to review the details? Thank you in advance!