Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
pvsurfer
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: vee

Recovery Media Issues

Post by pvsurfer »

Support Case # 02279198

I would like to submit two observations re VAW's recovery media, the first observation may be due to a bug. The second observation is a functional limitation.

1. After installing VAW I created a Recovery UFD. I find that booting with the Recovery UFD to be painfully slow in comparison with comparable recovery media from two competitive products, Macrium Reflect and Terabyte's Image For Windows, both of which load considerably quicker! Note that my issue is not that WinRE doesn't load fast enough, but that of an inordinate delay during the "Initializing" stage. It sits there 'initializing' so long that the program appears to hang to the extent that I almost aborted it!!! As stated, I do not experience similar delays with recovery media from the competitive products noted above.

2. The recovery media does not provide the ability to perform a 'cold' standalone backup, whereas the recovery media from the competitive products mentioned do provide that functionality.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Recovery Media Issues

Post by Dima P. »

Hello pvsurfer!

Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing you feedback.

1. Please clarify how much time does it take to boot Veeam RE?
2. True, VAW does not have this functionality at the moment. Noted as a feature request.
pvsurfer
Novice

Post by pvsurfer »

Hi Dima, thanks for the welcome...

Consider the Veeam RE boot process consisting of two stages, Stage 1 is loading Windows files; Stage 2 is Recovery Environment Initializing (green screen).

Stage 1 takes 25 - 30 seconds from the hitting any key to boot until reaching stage 2. I find this time to be consistent with similar recovery media.
Stage 2 takes an additional 90 - 100 seconds from 'intializing' start until the selection screen appears. That's much longer than similar recovery media!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

pvsurfer,

Please check what boot mode is used in your BIOS: UEFI mode or legacy BIOS-compatibility mod? Was Recovery Media created on the same machine?
pvsurfer
Novice

Post by pvsurfer »

Dima P. wrote:pvsurfer,

Please check what boot mode is used in your BIOS: UEFI mode or legacy BIOS-compatibility mod? Was Recovery Media created on the same machine?
Hi Dima,

I use legacy BIOS mode. The recovery media is a UFD 3.0 and the VAW recovery iso was created on the same PC. Imho, the VAW initialization program is very inefficient. The basis for that comment is that I have 2 other recovery boot iso's from 2 veeam competitors and they both bootup and 'become ready' in less than half the time that it takes VAW to do so (using the very same boot media)!!!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks. I'll pass your feedback to the development team.