Recovery: total disaster (1.5.0.306), Case # 01818507

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Re: Recovery: total disaster (1.5.0.306), Case # 01818507

Veeam Logoby 91gsixty » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:08 pm

Let me weigh in.

I had a similar issue. (still not resolved) with a HP Elite desktop 800.

Been using VBR for years, but first time using EPB. I tried the process with a new machine and it backed up just fine on a external USB disk. So i tried a restore right after a full backup.

The system only restored fine, but NO keyboard or NO mouse, both devices are USB. I tried all the USB ports from the front to the back and non will work.

I haven't tried a PS2 mouse or keyboard, cause those have been in the garbage for years.
91gsixty
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: jeff Ferguson

Veeam Logoby 91gsixty » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:56 pm

UPDATE:

I was able to get back into the computer with peripherals by Running "SafeMode w/t Networking"
I then Uninstalled the "Intel(R) Usb 3.0 Root Hub" and DELETE driver. Then rescan for hardware changes and point the device to the original driver.
Rebooted and my keyboard and mouse worked again.
91gsixty
Influencer

Full Name: jeff Ferguson

Veeam Logoby JasonC » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:11 am

I did a restore recently back to exactly the same system that the original backup was done from and it failed with BSOD even in safe mode.... partly as a test and partly to duplicate complete system to another PC with exactly same hardware. (all I did was switch out the main disk on restore but the PC was identical)

When creating the media you should use the option to include drivers in the media because this way network adapters and non-standard mass storage devices will be available in the restore environment when doing the restore.

Problem is after the restore is complete the default option is to 'inject' these drivers which have been captured back into the restored system.

I would refer to this forum topic page because that describes the issue and the fix.
veeam-endpoint-backup-f33/restore-complets-successfully-but-bsod-on-boot-t28788-45.html
and yes USB3 drivers in particular seemed to be the problem they don't like being injected even if they are already installed - I had done other restores previously without issues on other backups/hardware.

If you have older recovery media from a previous version you may find this option is not available as I think its only recently been added. The new media when generated will restore old backups however...
JasonC
Lurker

Veeam Logoby mkaec » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:05 pm 1 person likes this post

All these descriptions of restore problems remind me of how good we have it with VMs. :) Back in the day when everything was physical, there were a lot more problems like this.
mkaec
Expert

Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Marc K

Veeam Logoby Erhard » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:04 am

> But if you restore to a new machine with other hardware

This was not the case. It was the same machine the recovery medium was created on. We just used a new hard drive.

Gtx, Erhard
Erhard
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Erhard Pütz

Previous

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows