Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
goose_ws
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: goose

Recoving a windows .VBK backup

Post by goose_ws »

This is in reference to case #04333196, which was recently closed without response due to high ticket load. Hoping I can find some help here.

I was using Veeam on my desktop to backup to a network SMB share. My desktop experienced a failure, and at the time, I did not have the Veeam restore image. So I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 using their official ISO.

I re-installed Veeam Agent for Windows. When I open File Level Restore, and I try to go to the network share where the backup is, File Level Backup does not "see anything" to open.

If I go to the network share folder where the backups are, if I try to open the most recent .VIB file with File Level Restore, nothing happens. If I try to open the most recent .VBK file with File Level Restore, I get an error message that says "Veeam Agent for Windows" is unable tot open backup files created by Veeam Backup & Replication.

I used Veeam Agent for Windows to create the backups, not Veeam Backup & Replication. I'm unsure why it gives me that error message. In my backup directory, I've got 28 .VIB files, and 2 .VBK files.

I would greatly appreciate any help with retreiving some files from my backups, ideally my most recent .VIB snapshot. There's just 4 files I need to grab, but I don't have them backed up anywhere else.

Screenshot 1 shows the files, accessed via the B: mapped network drive. Screenshot 2 shows me trying to open the most recent .VBK file, via the B: mapped network drive. Screenshot 3 shows after I opened File Level Restore, and supplied the SMB share credentials to try and open the backup that way.

Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2
Screenshot 3
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Re: Recoving a windows .VBK backup

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi,

you can try to download Veeam Backup and Replication Community Edition and try to open the file from B&R.
If backup file is not corrupted, it can do the trick.

Thanks!
goose_ws
Influencer

Post by goose_ws »

I installed B&R:CE.

The tool I'm trying is the "Veeam Backup Extraction Utility". When I try and open the most recent .VIB file, it tells me that it cannot find the full backup.

When I try and open the most recent .VBK file, it appears to read, but wants to extract the entire disk somewhere.

For context, my OS drive is 512 GB, 465 GB usable. So it wants to extract 465 GB of data, somewhere. Since I only have around 250 GB free on my OS disk, as I have my OS and programs installed, I don't have enough space on my disk to extract the whole image.

Is there another/better way I should be opening them? Or do I just need to find something with enough free space?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi goose,

Since you've installed Community Edition, please try to import this backup file to Veeam B&R console and start file level recovery wizard for the backup? Cheers!
goose_ws
Influencer

Post by goose_ws »

Thanks for the tip. Any advice on how to add an SMB share as a backup location? When I try to import the backup, it only gives me the option for local files, I can't figure out how to add an SMB share to import the backup from.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2277 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Goose

Everything is in the Guides :)

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... er=100#smb
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
goose_ws
Influencer

Post by goose_ws »

Sorry, what I mean is that, while I have the SMB repository added, it's not available to import a backup from.

You can see here where I've added the SMB share as a repository, but when I go to import backup, it's not available.

You can see here that when I try to browse for the file, only local destinations are available, not my network mapped B:\ drive.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

goose,

After SMB share is registered as repository you can right click such repo and perform rescan (to locate all the backup files). Once rescan is performed you need to go to Home node and open Backup > Disk view. There you should see all the backups from the newly registered SMB repository. Cheers!