Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
perjonsson1960
Veteran
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Per Jonsson

Remove from configuration

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Folks,

If I click on "Inventory" in B&R, and then click on a protection group in the left pane, and rightclick on a physical machine, what happens if I choose "Remove from configuration"? Is that the same as going into the properties of the protection group and remove the machine there?

The reason for asking is that we are going to close down three physical machines, and if for some reason we have to bring them up again, and continue backing them, what is the best way to "disable" them in B&R temporarily, without getting errors when rescan of the protection group is done?

PJ
Hindawi
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Moustafa Hindawi

Re: Remove from configuration

Post by Hindawi »

Hi Perjonsson,
When you remove a protection group, you can instruct Veeam Backup & Replication to remove Veeam Agents from all protected computers included in this protection group, too. The protection group is removed permanently. You cannot undo this operation.
Backups created for computers that were included in the removed protection group remain intact in the backup location. You can delete this backup data manually later if needed. See https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

I suggest to you Disable Protection group instead, hen you disable a protection group, you disable scheduled discovery of protected computers added to this protection group. This may be required, for example, if a new version of Veeam Agent appears on a distribution server, and you do not want to deploy Veeam Agent to all protected computers at once. Instead, you can disable the protection group, test the deployment process on a specific computer in this group, and then enable the protection group to let Veeam Backup & Replication deploy Veeam Agent to remaining computers.
When you disable a protection group, Veeam Backup & Replication does not start the rescan job upon schedule defined in the protection group settings. However, you can start the discovery process manually if needed. See https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
perjonsson1960
Veteran
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Per Jonsson

Re: Remove from configuration

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Thank you!
There are more machines in the protection group than those being shut down, so I cannot disable the protection group, but I see that B&R has put those machines in the Offline state, so perhaps it is not a big problem, since it is only a warning during rescan.