Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Novell2
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Zeller Werner

Restore Backup from VBR12

Post by Novell2 »

Hi, on a vsphere V8u1 I did a fullbackup (VBK + VBM) with vbr12. I want to restore it in a VMware Workstation. If I start the boot-CD.iso (Veeam Windows Agent 6.0.2) in VMware Workstation 17, I can not chosse the VBR Backupfile (vbk). The file is not listet in the directory.
Is that way not possible?
Thanks
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Re: Restore Backup from VBR12

Post by Regnor »

Just to be sure, did you create a backup with the Veeam Agent or VMware backups?
How do you try to access the files via the recovery media?
Novell2
Enthusiast

Post by Novell2 »

Hi Regnor,
I did a regular Backup with vbr12. Then I startet a new virtual machine in VMware Workstation 17. This new VM was started with the Veeam Agent 4 Windows Boot CD, and with the network share I wanted for restore to chosse the backupfile.

Best regards
Novell1
Regnor
VeeaMVP

Post by Regnor »

This won't work as you can only restore agent backups with the recovery media.
I would suggest that you export the disks to VMDK and add them to your Workstation VM.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
Novell2
Enthusiast

Post by Novell2 »

Hi Regenor,
Thank you, am I correct in saying that in VBR V12 it is not possible to create a normal (vSphere Snapshot) backup and restore it to VMware Workstation?
The export of the disks only works partially. The Linux (Ubuntu) boots, but the applications do not work, certain services are missing. The only thing I could do is to change the original MAC address in WMware WS17 in the virtual machine. The backup restore on vSphere works fine of course.... but not with VMware WS...
Thanks a lot
Novell2
Regnor
VeeaMVP

Post by Regnor »

While it's not a supported restore scenario, in theory it should also work, as the exported disk content is the same. Maybe Ubuntu doesnt like the changed hardware or NIC.
If you just need to get the VM running in VMware Workstation, you could try to export it directly from vCenter. Or use the VMware Converter to convert it from vSphere to Workstation.