Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
kmaire
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin Maire

[MERGED] BSOD after restore

Post by kmaire »

BSOD on boot after restore. Win7 on ThinkPad X240. Replaced SSD. I opened the case from a difference system the one in question is down. I do have the logs from the last restore operation but not sure where to post them.

case 01749383

Kevin
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Restore complets successfully but BSOD on boot...

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Kevin,

Did you uncheck the 'Inject these drivers into operating system while performing bare metal recovery' while performing a Bare Metal Recovery? It may help to avoid possible issues with drivers causing BSOD when you are restoring to dissimilar hardware.
rdsu
Lurker
Full Name: rdsu

Post by rdsu »

Dima P.,

Since the 'Inject these drivers into operating system while performing bare metal recovery' gives a lot of issues, why not uncheck it by default on next version?

Regards
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

rdsu,

Folks have issues with this option when restoring to dissimilar hardware or when recovery media was created on different machine, however, for home usage it works like a charm.
CloudMSP
Service Provider
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Veeam MSP

Post by CloudMSP »

Delo123 wrote:There are some great Tools available to inject Drivers after Mainboard swap (what you practically are doing).
You should have replaced custom ide/scsi drivers with default Microsoft to be able to boot the vm. To do it now you would Need of of those adaptive restore tools!
You saved my life man. Based on this I found Paragon Adaptive Restore (for free too on someones dropbox lol).
ColbyIT
Novice
Full Name: Jim Davis

[MERGED] Veeam Free

Post by ColbyIT »

I downloaded this application last week. I was looking for software that could allow me to restore a previous computer to a new computer via bare metal restore. I get successful restores every time but the reboot fails. I either get in accessible drive stop error messages (without drivers injected) or never ending cycle of attempted repairs.

Both hardware are Dell Desktop PCs. I converted the old one from MBR/BIOS to GPT/UEFI using the build in tool with Windows 10 prior to media creation and the back up. I still get the MBR warning when restoring to the new machine. I am almost to the point of giving up on this as a software solution and to begin looking at Acronis Universal Restore. Before that happens can anyone give me some guidance on what the issue is?

Thank you
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Free

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Jim,

Are you able to boot in the safe mode, just to eliminate the possible driver issues?

Thanks!
ColbyIT
Novice

Re: Veeam Free

Post by ColbyIT »

Hi Vitaliy,

I have not been able to get into startup. I keep getting a blue screen stop code that says inaccessible boot device because I ran the restore without injecting the device drivers.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, then I guess assistance from our support team is needed here. Can you please contact them and let us know your case ID, so we could update this topic with a resolution?
ColbyIT
Novice

Post by ColbyIT »

Two questions: 1. Is support provided with the free version? 2. What is the fastest way to contact them?

Thank you!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

1. Yes, based on available resources from the support team. 2. You need to open a support case via our portal: cp.veeam.com
Cia91
Novice

Post by Cia91 »

Hi, i'm having a similar issue with a server backed up via Veeam Agent which we are trying to restore into a VM (we are testing if there is a way to recover the server in case of disaster recovery in a different site, you should consider a replication job physical to virtual, it will be very useful).

After i export the disk to a vmdk and create a VM i get the same BSOD as jasonb225.

KB2072 doesn't exist anymore, i would like to know what can be the cause of this BSOD and maybe if there is a way to fix it. If i use the Bare metal recovery media in a new VM and restore the backup from there it works, but the possibility to export directly a VMDK is way better in our case.

Is there an "offical" way supported by Veeam to restore a Physical server to a VM in case the hardware is gone?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

It's hard to say what is causing the issue in your case, one of the reasons could be dissimilar hardware or issues with drivers. Have you tried booting in the safe mode when exporting disk and then attaching it to a VM?
Cia91
Novice

Post by Cia91 »

I only tried to attach the exported disk to a VM and then directly boot it (i exported the C: disk), but even in safe mode it BSOD.

What you are suggesting is to try to attach the disk to an existing working VM? The hardware for sure is dissimilar, the source is a physical server and the destination is a virtual machine.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you care mostly about data, then yes, exporting disk containing data and then attaching it to a VM can give you what you want. If you want to restore the entire image, but have problems with the boot operation, then engaging our support team is required here.