Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
rawtaz
Expert
Liked: 15 times

Restore failure 2/2 times

Post by rawtaz »

Hi,

So I'm just trying out VAfW 4.0 (latest version as of two days ago), and did the following:

- Installed it on an up-to-date Windows 10 x64 that hasn't been used for anything else (i.e. it's "clean").
- Set up a backup job with type "File level" and the selection "Operating system", to a OneDrive for Business account that was completely empty.
- Ran the backup, no problems whatsoever.
- Tried a simple File Level restore, by selecting one .iso (700 MB) and one .txt file (negligible KB). Instead of a successful restore I got an error about 233 MB through the first file, saying (approximately, translated) "Failed to transfer C:\the\path\to\the\iso\file. The device is not ready. Continue? (Yes / No)".

I tried the last step twice, with restarting the restore application between the runs. The second time it went through just 150 MB of the iso file.

I have no idea what's wrong here. The Windows client is fine in general, the network is fine, there's about 8 GB free on C: (to which I'm restoring), the OneDrive works fine from what I can tell (I can browse it and the backup ran for 1.5-2 hours without issues).

Am I missing something? What could be the cause of this?
rawtaz
Expert

Re: Restore failure 2/2 times

Post by rawtaz »

Same thing after a complete reboot of the entire client machine. If anyone can point me to which logs are relevant, I can check them.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

You can check logs under C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Endpoint and look for FLR log(file level restore sessions). Feel free to click a Support Case in agent UI, it will automatically upload logs(if selected to do so) for engineer to inspect.
/Thanks!
rawtaz
Expert

Post by rawtaz »

Thanks Egor, I'll have a look at it.

Can you verify that when uploading log packages, they will never include credentials/passwords?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Some logs might have an account name used (for example to open console or authenticate on an smb share backup repository), but 100% never a password.