Restore from backup copy job

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Restore from backup copy job

Veeam Logoby redhorse » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:14 pm

Hello,

I backup my physical Veeam Server with VEB into a Veeam repository which is physically located on the Veeam Server (local hdd). I have a Backup Copy-Job which copies my VEB-Backup to a secondary location (NAS) and everything is working great.

Now, I want to test the restore of my Veeam Server and I booted the Server with the rescue media. Because in case of disaster I am unable to access the local Veeam-Repository and the local hdd to access the primary Veeam Backup directly, I tried to restore from the backup copy on the NAS with accessing it via UNC path. Unfortunately I got the message that it is not possible to restore from Backup & Replication backups. Is that behaviour expected? If so, I have to choose a location outside of the Veeam Server for the primary backup.
redhorse
Enthusiast

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: RH

Re: Restore from backup copy job

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:46 am

Hi redhorse,

There is a limitation in the existing backup copy jobs with VEB backups – it can be restored only by VBR’s restore operator or admin account. It was done to limit the possible security violations - otherwise users could restore anything from backup file made by backup copy job. If the backup made by copy job is ‘detached’ from the VBR you can’t use it for restore since it can’t check your permissions anymore.

That being said, I recommend excluding the VBR backup from backup copy job or, maybe, point this VEB to the CIFS location instead.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 482 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby redhorse » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:36 am

Hi Dima,

the restore works when I point the VEB recovery to the primary repository via UNC-Path (although the backup uses the option to backup to B&R-Repository). So the limitation exists only for backup copys? My plan is to add a repository outside of the physical Veeam Server (NAS-Share) as the primary backup destination of the VEB Job and leave the backup copy job as it is. In case of disaster recovery I can point VEB directly to this NAS-Share.
redhorse
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:32 pm

So the limitation exists only for backup copys?

Yes. You plan will work if you use a regular CIFS destination and stay away from backup copy.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby redhorse » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:48 pm

Thanks!
redhorse
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby ChuckS42 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:42 pm

Ok, just hit this. Quite frustrating. I am using a Backup Copy job to give a VAW backup a meaningful name, and I need the copy to be restorable (of course, otherwise what's the point?). Feh.
ChuckS42
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Chuck Stevens

Veeam Logoby ChuckS42 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:39 pm

Dima P. wrote:Yes. You plan will work if you use a regular CIFS destination and stay away from backup copy.

Is this something that will be fixed in the future? Maybe with VBR v10?
ChuckS42
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Chuck Stevens

Veeam Logoby Technogod » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:40 pm

You mentioned VEB and then VAW. Are you using VAW? If so, you can boot from recovery media and restore backup copy job from SMB share.
Technogod
Enthusiast

Liked: 14 times

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:35 pm

I am using a Backup Copy job to give a VAW backup a meaningful name, and I need the copy to be restorable (of course, otherwise what's the point?). Feh.

The backup copy backup file is restorable, but you have to authenticate with Veeam B&R admin account during recovery from Veeam B&R repository.
Is this something that will be fixed in the future? Maybe with VBR v10?

Yes. We plan to provide the granular access for backup copy backup file (let regular users see only their portion of backup files). Once it’s done – admin account is no longer a mandatory.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows