Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Restore MBR to UEFI system?

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Hi guys,

We have had a server meltdown and we need to restore to a new server. The new server is UEFI but the older server is not. Will a Bare Metal Restore to the new (UEFI) server work or do I need to turn off UEFI before restoring?

Cheers,

Alex
Technogod
Expert
Liked: 26 times

Re: Restore MBR to UEFI system?

Post by Technogod »

Turn off UEFI mode by enabling Legacy mode. Are you running Server 2016?
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

SBS Server 2011 (a.k.a. Server 2008 R2). I stopped the restore and changed it to Legacy.

Now my next issue is that I'm only getting 7 MB/s restore speeds; at this rate it will take two hours to restore. I assume it is a RAID issue, but I can't seem to see what setting I've forgotten to set. RAID 1 with two SSD drives, and read & write caching on.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Are you restoring from the network or a USB device?

I have seen this (and unfortunately had this myself a few times) that you can get into trouble when you connect a USB device to different HW and for some reason with server hardware you drop on a very low rate.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

USB device. It took 5 hours to restore to the new hardware, extremely slow. We decided the next day to rebuild the server, it took 2 hours to install and fully patch, and another hour to migrate over the configuration.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

AlexLeadingEdge wrote:USB device. It took 5 hours to restore to the new hardware, extremely slow.
Looks like a side effect of legacy boot. Any chance any recovery logs left (should be stored on your backup repository) to share with me?
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Post by AlexLeadingEdge » 1 person likes this post

Sorry, all gone. I restored the original server from the backups but unfortnately it keeps falling over at least once every day. We have uninstalled everything unnecessary and have done all the patches but nothing has made it stable. Many services aren't starting correctly, and SFC says that system files are corrupt.

I have now built a new server from scratch (same hardware except it now has a hardware RAID card in it) and it is sitting next to the old one. It is now stable and we are in the process of migrating the Domain Settings and Exchange over.