Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Jeff.Mincey
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeff Mincey

Restoring in a Dock Station Config

Post by Jeff.Mincey »

When backing up Lenovo Thinkpad docked on Thinkpad Ultra Dock 40A2 model, and then subsequently restoring the full disk, the computer will boot if it is undocked but it will crash when docked. Is Endpoint not doing a true bit image of the full drive? In these tests, when the backup is performed via Endpoint, the computer is docked and the backup proceeds without error. It's only upon a restore (with all things being equal) that Windows 7 goes into a kernel panic upon boot-up.

Has anyone encountered this problem or have any thoughts on a solution?

Jeff Mincey
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Restoring in a Dock Station Config

Post by Mike Resseler »

Jeff,

No, we haven't encountered this as far as I know. It does indeed a backup block-based so it should not be an issue. After you have booted undocked (succesfully) can you then dock it? Also, we would like to investigate this further. Could you create a case through the control panel and post the case ID and follow-up in this thread?

Thanks

Mike
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Jeff,
Just to clarify – you've encountered the said behavior after bare metal recovery for your system volume or after restoring the non-system volume? Also, need to know your operating system and if any other devices are attached to the dock station? Thanks
Jeff.Mincey
Novice

Post by Jeff.Mincey »

More information on this will be forthcoming soon. The one thing I can say is that we have replicated this on two separate Lenovo Thinkpad T440S laptops and on two separate docking stations. Also, to answer your first question above, after we successfully boot up a newly restored disk (first undocked) and then subquently dock it, it goes into a crash on the spot. As I say, I will be offering more information soon. Thanks for the help.
Jeff.Mincey
Novice

Post by Jeff.Mincey »

To answer some of the foregoing questions, the backup method chosen in Veeam Endpoint (for the Lenovo T440S laptop) was what the software calls "Entire Computer." (It was not a volume-level or file-level backup.) The backup was stored on a shared folder on the network, hosted by a NAS. Then as a test I typically delete key folders and uninstall some apps on the original computer and then perform a restore from this share on the network. In each case, the restore appears to be successful, and as I say above, so long as I remove the computer from the docking station, it boots up fine and the folders I had previously deleted and the apps I had previously uninstalled are back (as part of the restored image).

But the instant I put it on the dock, a kernel panic ensues, even though the original backup was done when the computer was docked.
Jeff.Mincey
Novice

Post by Jeff.Mincey »

I've now opened a formal ticket for this issue (so it can be tracked and referenced). The case number is 00934655.