Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
edison5000
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: e

server managed ability to permit users to select files *to backup*?

Post by edison5000 »

Via our current EOl-ing non-Veeam product, you can allow server managed agent users to modify their file backup selection if you choose to. In Veeam, regardless of server managed agent mode, it seems like this is not a choice. Or at least, I have not seen such an option. The only one I can find is the option to allow users to

a) restore their own files or
b) kickoff 'backup now'
without administrative intervention.

So again, what we want to be able to do, is: have a default backup policy, but, permit users to deviate and alter the file selection if they want.

Is this hidden somewhere? Thanks! : )
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: server managed ability to permit users to select files *to backup*?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello edison5000,

Create managed by agent job for the user's machine, agent will be installed with the UI and the required self-service capabilities provided. Thanks!
edison5000
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: e

Re: server managed ability to permit users to select files *to backup*? Case #05493485

Post by edison5000 »

No - simply creating an agent-managed job doesn't automagically give users permissions for this. Again, as far as I can see in the agent, there is no apparent way for agent-managed users to do this.

https://imgur.com/a/k6PLhsG

The only way I can see to grant users any power at all is in protection groups, where you click the checkbox in

edit protection group -> options -> Advanced -> security ->

"Allow file level recovery without administrative account". When you do this, users can do file-level restore, and run a backup whenever they want.