Service Suddenly Stopped Working, nothing is fixing it...
Hello, Veeam Support guys, I am duplicating already existing topic, because I have the same issue...
I've got a problem with VEB on my desktop and it's stop working...
RebuildDatabase registry fix didn't work.
Uninstall/reinstall - including all the SQL components and individual folders and registry entries where I could find them - didn't work.
removing the databases from c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile didn't work.
I can't send in a ticket from the application because the main window closes within ten seconds of opening it.
I appreciate whatever help is available.
Also tried this:
Trying a repair install didn’t seem to work so hunting around some forums we found a quick fix that worked for us.
1.Download PSTools, extract to C:\PSTools (or wherever suitable) – grab the tools here.
2.Open a cmd prompt (make sure to run as administrator)
3.Browse to the PSTools directory – e.g. cd C:\PSTools
4.Type in – PsExec.exe -i -s cmd
5.Hit ok on the user agreement if it pops up
6.A new cmd prompt will appear, type in whoami to confirm it’s running as the nt authority\system account
7.Type in – cd “C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Bin”
8.Type in – SqlLocalDB.exe delete VeeamEndPoint
9.You should see a message that says – LocalDB instance “VeeamEndpoint” deleted
10.Now repair the Veeam Endpoint install (just re-run the setup) and you should be good to go!