Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
informasec
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Martin

Source drives missing when trying to configure backup

Post by informasec »

Just installed Veeam Agent for Windows and attempted to configure the backup. The app goes through the normal steps of scanning for drives but only shows two drives (my main system drive C: and the intended backup target Z:) when trying to configure a Volume level backup. It's missing the other 7 drives that all show up when it comes to selecting a target location for the backup. I attempted to search the forum but didn't see anything that matched my issue in the search results for "drives not showing", "missing source drives", etc... I have the 3 month license installed. Has this issue been seen before?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Source drives missing when trying to configure backup

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Would you provide more details on the machines configuration, please? Is there a chance that the drives not shown are somewhat special? For instance, if those were USB-attached drives then VAW would not detect them either.

Thanks
informasec
Novice

Post by informasec »

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit running on a Dell XPS 15 2-in-1.
Drives are indeed USB connected.
The G-Technology G-Speed Studio RAID that is showing up during the backup configuration as a source drive is a Thunderbolt 2 drive connected via a USB-C to Thunderbolt adapter. It is ultimately my target my drive.

Since as mentioned above VAW won't see USB-attached drives, does that mean I should look for another backup solution?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Chris.

Unfortunately that's true - current version of Veeam Agent for Windows cannot process external USB devices. The support is planned but I cant provide ETA.
informasec
Novice

Post by informasec »

Understood. Thanks for the info.