Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
4c7
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: 4c74356b41

SQL Backup Guide

Post by 4c7 »

So, I tried searching but failed. Is there a guide to backup SQL server databases with Endpoint Backup? All the databases use simple recovery model.
I'm intending to use Veeam B&R backup repositories.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: SQL Backup Guide

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

Backing up SQL server databases with Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE is not a problem and if you integrate it with B&R backup repository you will be able to recover. Since you are not using logs... what advice are you looking for? Simple recovery model allows you to take out the DB file out of the backup and connect it to a SQL server or do a full recover of the server...

Let me know what you want to know

Mike
4c7
Enthusiast

Post by 4c7 »

Well, I'm not really sure, I mean, do I just point Endpoint Backup to the SQL DB folder and that's it? Does the database go offline for the time of backup?

ps. Can I do the same with Veeam B&R? Backup those DB files from physical server, or do I have to use Endpoint Backup?
pps. All physical servers are Windows Server 2008 r2 or higher, SQL 2008 or higher
4c7
Enthusiast

Post by 4c7 »

Folks?
ps. If I can do it with Veeam B&R can I do a straight file to tape backup of SQL DB's?
ddayton
Enthusiast
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Don Dayton

Post by ddayton »

If you want just backups of the SQL DB's then you should perform a SQL database dump of them and then backup the resultant dump files. Otherwise backing up the entire system you can use B&R to restore SQL databases that were backed up during the process.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

Don is right. If you only want to backup SQL databases, then you need to do a dump of them (with SQL tools) and point your backup in file-level mode to the location. If you backup the entire pc you can backup the SQL databases (and use the explorer when you use a B&R repository as a target) automatically. Read here: http://helpcenter.veeam.com/endpoint/10/backup_hiw.html

Can you do a straight dump of the .BAK files to tape? Yes, but then you don't need VEB. You can add your server to the B&R infrastructure and do it like that. And if you choose entire computer with VEB and (again) connect it to a repository then you can use a backup to tape job to get the job done

Cheers

Mike
4c7
Enthusiast

Post by 4c7 »

Well, thanks! This is really what I wanted to know.