Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
rasmusan
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Rasmus Andersen

SQL Server 2016 AlwaysOn

Post by rasmusan »

Hello

Is it supported with Veeam Agents, to backup a physical SQL server 2016 AlwaysOn setup with 2 physical servers?

thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: SQL Server 2016 AlwaysOn

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Rasmus,

Clusters are not supported (VAW is not cluster aware application). However, you can protect a single node with agent. If you do, please refer to this KB article for more details. Thank you.
rasmusan
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Rasmus Andersen

Post by rasmusan »

thanks alot - just what I needed !
pdelacruz
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Pablo De La Cruz

Post by pdelacruz »

Does anyone know if upcoming Veeam B&R 9.5 update 3 or v.10 will address this issue (Microsoft failover cluster availability group and SQL AlwaysOn not supported on VAW)? I really believe VAW needs to stress the importance of getting this to work correctly as an enterprise solution.
The ability to do a point-in-time restore on SQL 2012/2016 is extremely important for us and the assurance to maintain same level of protection when a failover occurs. I'm sure there are already many complains and deserve to be taken into consideration and given higher priority for upcoming release.

Thank you,
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Pablo,

Anton shared this in the weekly forum digest:
Gostev wrote:Switching to Veeam R&D news, we've reached the internal beta milestone for Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 3 release. While we don't do public betas for B&R for a number of reasons - we always do internal previews, followed by controlled private betas. And for me, the availability of these builds always means the release is in a good shape, because our QC folks have very high quality standards for betas. So, last week all Veeam systems engineers have been busy testing the long-awaited built-in agent management functionality – and loving it. One feature that gets the most excitement is Microsoft Failover Cluster support - they cannot believe we were actually able to deliver such a major functionality in an update!
pdelacruz
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Pablo De La Cruz

Post by pdelacruz »

Thank you Dima! This is definitely a great news! Regards....Pablo