Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: SQL server cpu usage on idle state

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Veemzatetujecpu2121!

Yes, we've included several fixes for the existing sql queries in v5. If you still see high cpu consumption with v5 please raise a support case and share the case ID with us. Cheers!
dheijl
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Danny Heijl

Post by dheijl » 1 person likes this post

What I noticed: after installing Agent for Windows V5 I still had higher "idle" CPU usage for SQL Server than what one would expect.
Now after I decided to let Veeam recreate the database (for an unrelated issue) SQl Server CPU usage seems to have dropped dramatically...
I'd been running Veeam Agent for Windows for years on this machine, upgrading Veeam Agent as required without ever recreating the database.
Keyser
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Post by Keyser »

Just to update on this. Since this for years have been killing battery on all the labtops I have been involved with, I have taken to disabling Veeam Agent on my machines until I need it for a manual backup.
There is at least 10 -15% longer batterylife on my laptops when the Veeam Agent is disabled as a service.
It's a huge CPU consumer combined/based off of the SQL service when its just supposed to be idle.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello folks,

New Veeam Agent for Widows v6 runs on SQLite engine and no longer requires localdb, specifically to address this problem. Please upgrade to v6, remove the localdb (unfortunately it has to be removed manually after upgrade, but please make sure that no other apps are using these SQL components) and let us know how new version behaves in your environment. Thank you!
Duglum
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by Duglum »

Hey,

i was searching for this issue earlier and was delighted when i stumbled about this thread, seeing that a (maybe) solution was very recently released.

The good thing:
- getting rid of the SQL localdb vastly reduced the memory usage when idle for me, down from about 500mb for the sql process to about 50mb for the Veeam service for me
- backing up my box still works fine

But now the Veeam service (Veeam.EndPoint.Service.exe) itself is using quite a lot of CPU time when it should just be doing nothing while waiting for the next job.
Still not correct behaviour imho.