Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ayjaycee
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: A C

Storage Device Full

Post by ayjaycee »

I've had a search and couldn't find an existing post on this topic:
When the attached Storage Device goes full, Veeam Agent posts a warning, but I can't see any mechanism for automatically managing the space (such as deleting backup sets from within the program).
I've found that Veeam Agent does pretty much everything I want in a stand-alone local backup program, except for this.

It looks like the only way to manage a full Storage Device is to open up the Backup Job folder and manually delete old full/incremental backups - is this correct?

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Storage Device Full

Post by Dima P. »

Hello ayjaycee.

Veeam Agent for Windows can only notify when you are running out of free space. To properly store your backup you have to define the correct retention value that suites your storage. If you use forever forward incremental backup mode (which is default) the retired incremental restore point is going to be merged in full backup, so your storage consumption won’t dramatically grow over the time.
ayjaycee
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: A C

Post by ayjaycee »

Thanks for that, Dima. Unfortunately I don't see "forever forward incremental" as an option.
In "Configure Backup" - "Local Storage" there is the option "Keep backups for the past nn days"
In "Advanced" there is "Create active full backups periodically" with Monthly/Weekly sub-options

Additional Info:
Backup device is a 2 TB USB drive (1.81 TB useable)
Last full backup was 690 GB
Backup is run automatically whenever the USB drive is plugged in (not every day!)
pj1220
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by pj1220 » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

If I understand VAW correctly - and I am a novice to VAW - "forever forward incremental backups" are achieved by NOT creating active full backups in "Advanced". So forever forward would generate one full backup and after that incremental backups whenever one backup is due. At least it works this way on my computer.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Correct. Forever forward incremental backup mode is used by default and will be changed only when Synthetic or Active fulls are enabled. To learn more about Retention or Backup Chains please take a look at this KB article. Thank you!