Support for volumes mounted in a directory instead of letter

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Support for volumes mounted in a directory instead of letter

Veeam Logoby p_g » Mon May 16, 2016 3:26 pm

In order to reduce the number of drive letters an get a more logical view of my data, I have mounted some volumes in directories rather than drive letters. (I think this has been possible since Windows 2000)
Veeam Endpoint Backup lists the volumes in the selection tree and also the directories where they have been mounted. (The checkboxes are synced.)
However the contents of the volume is not shown in any of the two places and it is not possible to select which directories should be backed up and witch not.

Up to now, I thought I have found a backup solution that would cover me needs; but without able to select what should be backed up, I don't know how to continue...

regards
Patrick

Details can be found in Support Case # 01800125 [ ref:_00D30RWR._5003210kTeR:ref ]
p_g
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Patrick

Re: Support for volumes mounted in a directory instead of le

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon May 16, 2016 4:52 pm

Hello Patrick,

Yes, Veeam Endpoint Backup does not back up data to which symbolic links are targeted. It only backs up the path information that the symbolic links contain. After restore, identical symbolic links are created in the restore destination. However, if you wish to backup to the volume mounted via symlink there is a workaround to use a Shared Folder destination and then pick such volume as a target.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 439 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby p_g » Mon May 23, 2016 4:47 am

The problem has nothing to do with symbolic links.
I have mounted 2 volumes in directories (volume mount points; this is a different type of reparse points than symbolic links or directory junctions) and the 2 volumes are accessible through this directories only. If those volumes are not backup up, no full backup of the computer is possible.
p_g
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Patrick

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue May 24, 2016 2:19 pm

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for correction – you are right. Unfortunately, behavior remains the same – reparse points are not supported (both soft and hard links).
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 439 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows