Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
IvanM
Novice
Liked: 2 times

Switched Version & Backup Mode

Post by IvanM »

Hello.

I recently purchased both Server and Workstation licenses for a few machines in our environment. And it works great.

I did noticed, however, that in one of the servers, I switched the Backup Mode from File level backup to Volume level backup. This created a whole new full backup in the chain and now the incremental are successfully occurring.
The original File level backup was set to 90 restore points (one every day). Now that the new Volume level backup is running, after the full, the incrementals are going past 90.
I doubt that you can merge File level backups with Volume level backups but, at what point (and how) can I delete the original 90 incrementals?

Thank you
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Switched Version & Backup Mode

Post by Dima P. »

Hello IvanM,

Most likely yes, you can delete the retired part of backup chain. I’d rather double check with support team (to be 100% sure you are not deleting something useful).
omfk
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Frank Knappe

[MERGED] Change of backup mode: New backup chain?

Post by omfk »

Hi all,

the backup mode of the machine in question is set to "entire computer". I have now to exclude a certain directory and would therefore have to switch to Volume level backup (with one directory excluded). Will this require a new backup chain with a new full backup or will the normal incremental backup scheme continue? As this server holds >2TB of data I would like to avoid this.

BR
Frank
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Switched Version & Backup Mode

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, changing backup mode triggers creation of a new backup chain.