Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
lnelson
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Lamar Nelson

Unable to Launch Recovery Media

Post by lnelson »

I have a Dell XPS8500 desktop that I ran a backup on and created recovery media. I'm using VEEAM Agent for Windows version 3.0.2 after learning a few hours too late that earlier versions wouldn't work.

After creating the recovery media, I'm trying to launch it on an HP laptop (HP Envy x360).

Unfortunately, each time I attempt to launch it I get a BSOD stating that there was a "System Exception Thread Not Handled" and it references an ISSTOR.SYS file.

Any ideas on what I need to do to get the recovery media to work would be greatly appreciated.

Case #03896680
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Unable to Launch Recovery Media

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community Lamar!

This issue might be related either drivers or to the boot mode (EFI vs legacy mode configuration in BIOS). Please keep working with our support team and let us know how it goes. Cheers!
lnelson
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Lamar Nelson

Post by lnelson »

Thanks for the welcome. No luck as of yet. They thought I was getting the issue after performing the backup, but I'm not even able to get into the recovery environment.

I attempt to boot to my USB and it immediately fails. I thought it might be a EFI vs legacy boot issue but I've yet to find a way to boot into Legacy on the laptop.
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi Lamar,

As far as I remember, on HP laptops legacy boot can be selected pressing F10 key on laptop startup and going further to System Configuration tab in Boot Menu.
Unfortunately, each time I attempt to launch it I get a BSOD stating that there was a "System Exception Thread Not Handled" and it references an ISSTOR.SYS file.
Do you mean iaStor.sys ? If you do, it looks like intel rapid storage technology driver is failing. You might need to update it in Device manager or run the command below in cmd using Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool to repair system components:

Code: Select all

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Best regards,
Oleg