Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
alfredbird
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Alfred Xing

Unable to set destination as Shared folder

Post by alfredbird »

I use a Windows 10 machine as home server.

My plan is to backup system drive of my desktop (windows 7) and laptop (windows 10) to shared folder on home server. I set up a new share folder name 'Veeam', and am able to copy and create new files on the 'Veeam' folder.

BUT, I am unable to use 'Veeam' folder for my backup destination. I ticked 'This share requires access credentials', and use correct username and passwork. When I click next, message box pops as 'Access is denied. Failed to create or open file'.

Please instruct me how to solve this issue?

Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1575 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Unable to set destination as Shared folder

Post by Dima P. »

Hi alfredbird,
ticked 'This share requires access credentials', and use correct username and password
Were you logged in under the same account when testing out permissions?
gcoupe
Novice
Full Name: Geoff Coupe

Post by gcoupe »

I've got exactly the same issue - trying to set up a Shared Folder on a "server" running Windows 10 Pro as the destination for backup, and getting this access denied message.

All my Windows 10 machines use MSA (Microsoft Account), not local accounts. It seems as though Veeam Endpoint Backup does not recognize an MSA?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1575 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

It should recognize such account without any issues. Make sure that permissions are set correctly on the said folder, check that your firewall is not blocking the connections from VEB and last but not least, check that you correctly typed in account/password. If that does not help, kindly open a support case. Thank you.
gcoupe
Novice
Full Name: Geoff Coupe

Post by gcoupe »

Dima P. wrote:It should recognize such account without any issues. Make sure that permissions are set correctly on the said folder, check that your firewall is not blocking the connections from VEB and last but not least, check that you correctly typed in account/password. If that does not help, kindly open a support case. Thank you.
Well, I'm afraid that it doesn't recognise an MSA. All permissions are correct, there are no firewall issues, and account/password is correctly typed.

In the end, I gave up trying to use an MSA, and added a local account to the server for use with Veeam.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2717 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, to the best of my knowledge MSA accounts are not supported yet, thanks for updating this topic.
marco.horstmann
Veeam Software
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Marco Horstmann

Post by marco.horstmann »

Hi,

I had a similar problem when I tried to open a backup file from mapped drive.
In my case user account control (UAC) kicked in because my mapped drives wasn't
promoted into the admin mode.

Do you use in configuration e.g. drive Z: or the UNC path e.g. \\192.168.1.4\daten\_Backup
If you use mapped drive it could be the root cause of your problem.

Regards
Marco
Marco Horstmann
Senior System Engineer @ Veeam Software

@marcohorstmann
https://horstmann.in
VMware VCP
NetApp NCIE-SAN for 7-Mode and Clustered Ontap