Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
fabiobroccolato
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Fabio Broccolato

Understanding backup retension

Post by fabiobroccolato »

Hi,
I use VEB to do backups to a Veeam V&R repository, that is an EMC DataDomain System, where I can see 18 Restore Points, each one of them being an incremental backup of the first full one, that was taken nearly one month ago.

When the backup job was created and saved on my endpoint system at the first time, so when the firs full backup of the chain was taken, the retension was established as 60 days.

After that, I decided to changhe the retension value in the backup job and reduced it to 15 days, as it is today.

In my mind, I expect to see the incremental backups older than 15 days consolidate into the full first backup of the chain, and the number of the restore points be reduced by consequence, but I can't see that.

What kind of behaviour has to be seen in a case like this?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Fabio Broccolato
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Re: Understanding backup retension

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Fabio,
I am a bit unclear of what your question is. If you have the retention set to 15 you should have 1 vbk and 14 vib files. Is that not what you are seeing?
VMCE v9
fabiobroccolato
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Fabio Broccolato

Post by fabiobroccolato »

Hi, thank you for the reply.
I see 18 restore points, 1 full backup and 17 incremental backups.
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

My recommendation would be to verify the job configuration is set to 15 and then open a support case through the control panel of VEB and have Veeam take a look, maybe its a bug!
VMCE v9
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

The retention is counted in days not in the restore points, so it may look like you have more than one restore point per day.