Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
harrisonb
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Harrison Braund

"Unsupported VBM Format" Error - Case #04722559

Post by harrisonb »

Hi,

I work for a company that uses veeam to back up clients computers. I haven't encountered a problem like this before, the veeam agents for other clients restore with no issues so I suspect it's a problem to do with this client's veeam agent or their backup settings.

I attempted a restore of a clients computer using Hyper-V to create a virtual machine and retrieved the backup using the veeam restore media .iso file generated by veeam agent for windows (standalone version) when the backup was initially performed. Going through the bare metal restore process, I attempted to select the .vbm metadata file to restore from, but when attempting to open it an error was displayed saying "Unsupported VBM Format". I thought that either the veeam agent or the veeam restore iso could have been out of date but I checked and it seems to be the latest version for both.

As I said before there have been no problems with other clients, just this one in particular. I also tried to open the vbm file in the veeam file explorer and it was unable to open it.

Looking forward to a response soon as if the backups don't work and our client's servers / workstations crash they could lose a lot of data.

Thanks for the help,

Harrison
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6715 times

Re: "Unsupported VBM Format" Error - Case #04722559

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

Hi, Harrison.
harrisonb wrote: Mar 30, 2021 12:14 amI work for a company that uses veeam to back up clients computers.
I see you have opened a case for the free version, and that your company does not carry any Veeam licenses that service providers like yourself are supposed to be using. Are you aware that by using a free product to backup your clients computers, your company directly violates Veeam EULA paragraphs 3.0 and 5.0?

Thanks!