Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
daw_idee
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: D.G.

Upgrade Fileserver MS OS - Veeam Agent

Post by daw_idee »

Hello, i have a fileserver MS Server 2012 with 2 lun mapped as disk d: and e: and are around 70tb of occupied space, the backup of these 2 disks is configured via Veeam Agent for MS windows 5.0.0.431 server edition, the backup of the os disk is done via hyperv snapshot.
these are the settings of the agent backup: Volume level backup - following disks d: e: - destination veeam backup repo - incremental forever.

Now, if i upgrade the os of the fileserver VM to MS server 2019, can I then map backup of these two disk to the existing job on the backup repository?
I haven't enough space on the repo to do another full backup.
Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Upgrade Fileserver MS OS - Veeam Agent

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Davide,

Given that this is going to be an in-place upgrade and no IDs in the Guest OS change, you will not need any mapping as agent jobs should continue to run normally.

Thanks!
daw_idee
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: D.G.

Post by daw_idee »

Hello Vitally, sorry i forgot to mention, i will not upgrade the OS of the vm but provision a new vm with MS Server 2019 that will replace the vm with MS Server 12.
The Luns then will be mapped as disks to the new vm
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

If that's going to be a new VM (new operating system, new agent installation), then I'm afraid the backup job will trigger a new full for those volumes.