Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Iliyasmomin77
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Iliyas Momin

Upgrade Veeam agent for microsoft to 4.0

Post by Iliyasmomin77 »

We are going upgrade our Veeam backup & replication to V11. Its on V9.54b currently
I can see V11 support Veeam Client for microsoft 4.0 later. We have currently some server which are running on 2.0 or some 3.0
What is best way upgrade go it step wise like 2.0 -> 3.0 ->4.0. or Uninstall current one & install latest one
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 687 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Upgrade Veeam agent for microsoft to 4.0

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Iliyas,

are those agents managed or standalone?
- managed ones can be automatically updated, centrally from VBR server after upgrade
- standalone agents can go 2 > 4 straight via in-place upgrade, no need to uninstall.

Note that latest version of Veeam Agent for Windows is 5.0 already.

/Thanks!
Iliyasmomin77
Influencer

Post by Iliyasmomin77 »

Those are Standalone Veeam microsoft agent.

Can i go Veeam microsoft agent Vir2 to Vir 5 directly. Please share way to perform via in-place upgrade any link or article
& does Veeam backup & replication V9.54b support veeam agent for windows vir 4.0 or 5.0. I case of rollback upgrade of veeam backup & replication backup should work for them on existing version ?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

- yes you can upgrade 2>5, check Upgrading Agent part of Release Notes.
- VBR 9.5 update 4b will not work with Veeam Agent 4.x+. Max supported version is 3.0 for that.
Iliyasmomin77
Influencer

Post by Iliyasmomin77 »

Thanks for update,
Iliyasmomin77
Influencer

Post by Iliyasmomin77 »

Hey egor

Does InPlace upgrade V2 to V5 of Veeam client for Microsoft required reboot of windows server ?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Agent itself does not require a reboot after the upgrade, however, it might be enforced by Microsoft - as we will install newer .NET Framework (unless you did it in advance) which most likely will lead to reboot requirement.
/Thanks!
Iliyasmomin77
Influencer

Post by Iliyasmomin77 »

Okay Once we upgraded to Veeam client for microsoft to v5 & our backup stop working or got some issue . What will be the fallback plan. how i can return to older vision.

What will best scenario Upgrade Veeam backup & replication v9.5 4b to V11 & then upgrade Veeam client v2 to v5 version
Or upgrade Veeam client v2 to v5 version then Upgrade Veeam backup & replication v9.5 4b to V11 ??
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Okay Once we upgraded to Veeam client for microsoft to v5 & our backup stop working or got some issue . What will be the fallback plan. how i can return to older vision.
You can uninstall current version and install back Veeam Agent for Windows compatible with v9.5 Update 4. Unless I am mistaken you can use Veeam Agent v3 with this version. However, I'd strongly recommend to upgrade your Veeam B&R version on the first place to the most recent version. Right now it lacks several years of fixes and patches
Or upgrade Veeam client v2 to v5 version then Upgrade Veeam backup & replication v9.5 4b to V11 ??
I'd upgrade Veeam B&R on the first place, then you can centrally manage all your agent installation and via Agent Management functionality.