Users have access to all backups in repository

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Re: Users have access to all backups in repository

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:56 pm

You are welcome Mike! It should work as described: your case in one of the reasons why we got this implemented. :wink:
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 439 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby indigomike » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:06 pm 1 person likes this post

So while this did work as expected, the more I think on this I believe I am going to stick with having a service account per user. I think this will provide me some more flexibility in the future. For example, if you have users who do hot have PCs that closely resemble their name (I certainly do), I would rather know by username which jobs succeed/fail/etc. Also, if a user's PC name has to be changed for whatever reason, one of two things will happen.
- either the agent will have to create a new full backup because it will be creating a new folder on the repository with the new PC name in it
- or I will then be left with backups from a new PC name writing to an old PC name folder.

Having a service account per user will also allow each user to keep all their backups visible to them for file restore purposes (assuming you have technical users) if they have multiple workstation/laptops, which we do. For instance, if a user left their work laptop at home but needed access to a file on it from their desktop, as long as that file has been backed up they will be able to restore a copy of it on their own.

Maybe it is not worth having the extra accounts but I think this will keep things cleaner and more straight forward for my environment. Thanks for your help!
indigomike
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Tisdale

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:12 pm

Thanks for the heads up Mike!

P.S. If you change the computer name the next job run is incremental. Just tested it myself.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 439 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Previous

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows