Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
StephanF
Enthusiast
Liked: 19 times

VAW 2.0 - Some questions regarding the paid versions

Post by StephanF »

Hi,

I have some questions regarding the VAW 2.0 paid versions:

1. Is there any documentation of the "Remote management and configuration API"?

2. Will it be possible to contact the (paid) support via the Veeam web site? We have a lot of clients that are not allowed to connect to the internet. This makes using the software support function impossible.

3. We have workstations (e.g. Windows 10) with local SQL Server installations because some software requires this. The VAW Server license has the full Application-aware processing engine. But what impacts do I have when I backup such a client with a VAW Workstation license?
Will the SQL Server database be in a consistent state (because of VSS)?
Will SQL transaction logs be truncated?

Thanks
Stephan
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: VAW 2.0 - Some questions regarding the paid versions

Post by nielsengelen »

1. The final documentation will be available upon GA release.
2. You can always open a support case that way so it will also be possible for VAW.
3. If you use a workstation license you won't have the application aware processing options like you have now meaning backups from logs. This means you will have to use the native SQL tools for this (truncating logs etc).
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
vClintWyckoff
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Clint Wyckoff

Post by vClintWyckoff »

Hey Stephan-
1. Is there any documentation of the "Remote management and configuration API"?
1.) I am working on a few blogs for Veeam.com that will show a few use cases for the Configuration API, but in the meantime you can checkout a blog I have written here.
2. Will it be possible to contact the (paid) support via the Veeam web site? We have a lot of clients that are not allowed to connect to the internet. This makes using the software support function impossible.
2.) Directly through the VAW UI you can open a technical support case without opening a web browser.
3. We have workstations (e.g. Windows 10) with local SQL Server installations because some software requires this. The VAW Server license has the full Application-aware processing engine. But what impacts do I have when I backup such a client with a VAW Workstation license?
Will the SQL Server database be in a consistent state (because of VSS)?
Will SQL transaction logs be truncated?
3.) The server license just unlocks the server specific features like AAIP and the additional scheduling options. Regardless of Server or Workstation VSS is used to place the operating system in a consistent state via a VSS snapshot, however the AAIP will make the SQL backup consistent as well as truncate the log files too.
StephanF
Enthusiast
Liked: 19 times

Post by StephanF »

vmniels wrote:2. You can always open a support case that way so it will also be possible for VAW.
Then Agent for Windows should be added as a selectable product in the support case form once it is GA. Today there is only "Endpoint Backup FREE" and after selecting this you get a message "To open a support case for Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE, go to the Control Panel, click on Support tab, and select Technical support option."
vClintWyckoff wrote:2.) Directly through the VAW UI you can open a technical support case without opening a web browser
As I wrote above this will only work if the client has internet access. This may be true for a private environment. But in a commercial environment there are critical clients that are operated separated from the internet for security reason.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

Once the product is GA it will be added to the list, however during public beta and current RTM status products don't get added :-)
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
vClintWyckoff
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Clint Wyckoff

Post by vClintWyckoff »

I misunderstood when you said 'clients' I thought that you meant like your customers or something - I did not think of the actual device being a client. My bad.