Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
SBarrett847
Service Provider
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Stephen Barrett

VAW and VBR licencing issue.

Post by SBarrett847 »

I have a strange issue with licencing. I have used the VAW free agent on all my hosts in my infrastructure, backing up to my main VBR repo. I now have a need to licence one of these agents to install the VAW CBT Driver. I've purchased the licence, but I can't apply it as the Agent says it is managed by VBR. In VBR (9.5u4) i can only licence all of the agents or none - I can't apply the VAW licence that has been purchased.

How do I untangle this? Maybe bypass VBR altogether?

If I point the Agent directly to the files in the repo, will it remap the job in VAW automatically?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: VAW and VBR licencing issue.

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Stephen,

Can you please double check if this agent is licensed or not via Veeam B&R licensing window (with new licensing schema in U4 you got several free instances, so I wonder if you agent has been accidentals licensed)? Please also check if 'Allow free agent to consume license' checkbox is checked or not. Thank you!
SBarrett847
Service Provider

Post by SBarrett847 »

'Allow free agent to consume license' checkbox is not checked. I have around 15 Free Agents going to that repository that I don't want to licence, they would take existing instances that are free, that I would otherwise use for VMs.

I'm guessing I can't send a backup to a VBR repository without VBR taking control of the licencing of VAW also?

EDIT:- Just got a response from support....

Hello Stephen,

You may use only licensed or only free Agents with one Veeam Backup&Replication. As an option, you may install the license to this particular Veeam Agent locally and select non-Veeam backup repository for the backup job.
SBarrett847
Service Provider

Post by SBarrett847 »

Ok - next stumbling block - how can I import an existing VAW backup job into VAW?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

You may use only licensed or only free Agents with one Veeam Backup&Replication. As an option, you may install the license to this particular Veeam Agent locally and select non-Veeam backup repository for the backup job.
That's correct. To clarify, when free agent is baking up to a Veeam repository is ok, to keep the mentioned checkbox unchecked (so you will have all your agents operating as free agents without consuming licensees installed in Veeam B&R). Whenever agent must be licensed and the backup target is Veeam repository - license must be inserted in the Veeam B&R console. Since you have single agent license I'd recommend you to configure the backup to a shared folder (for example you can use the shared folder on your Veeam B&R repository and import backup while to the Veeam B&R console whenever it's required).
how can I import an existing VAW backup job into VAW?
You can do that in licensed agent by running import/export commands, check this Help Center article. Cheers!
SBarrett847
Service Provider

Post by SBarrett847 »

Just getting back to this. I don't think the import/export commands are what I need. I wish to switch the VAW client from a VBR managed VAW job going to the VBR repo, to a non-VBR managed job going to a shared folder (in the same location). I want to make this switch and use the Terabytes of data I already have seeded.

If I point the VAW client to the File location of the existing data, it just creates a new job in another folder, ignoring the existing data.