Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
mc_g
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Gruber Markus

VAW for backup a Hyper-V host and the virtual guest

Post by mc_g »

Hi, one design question; will the Veeam Agent for Windows support the backup of the Hyper-V host AND the virtual guests?
Or will it be necessary to install the Veeam Agent for Windows AND the B&R on the host to backup and restore computers in such an environment?
Or can the B&R or another product used in such an environment?
Just for the layout:
Branch location with a Windows 2012R2, which also contains user files and a virtual server for the alarming system
BR
Markus
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: VAW for backup a Hyper-V host and the virtual guest

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Markus,

VAW is not designed for backing up virtual machines on a guest level, elder brother Veeam Backup and Replication is recommended for this level of protection. However, VAW can protect you Hyper V host and VM’s disks as files. If you want to install VAW and VBR on the same machine this is fully supported.
mc_g
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Gruber Markus

Post by mc_g »

Thank you for the quick response, for the design VAW & VBR on the same machine, do you have any best practice? i.e. in the VAW select File level backup and exclude the .vhd files?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

It should work out of the box. Just make sure that VAW exclusions are properly configured to avoid the unwanted backup growth (i.e. exclude VM disks if you are going to protect VMs with VBR).
SBarrett847
Service Provider
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Stephen Barrett

[MERGED] Using VAW for backing up small 1 VM Hyper-V Server?

Post by SBarrett847 »

Odd Question I know... A question has arisen from a customer asking why could they not use VAW for backing up small 1 VM Hyper-V Server, given that the Licensing is much much cheaper than Veeam Essentials. I honestly didn't have proper answer, other than the Hyper-V VMs / VHDs would not be quiesced and applications processed for backup.

Is there any reason I can give that this might be a bad Idea?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,
I honestly didn't have proper answer, other than the Hyper-V VMs / VHDs would not be quiesced and applications processed for backup.
Good news for you - when you trigger VSS snapshot on the host the Hyper-V VSS writer triggers VSS snapshot inside every guest OS (provided that they all have Integration Services installed). In other words - guests' applications will be quiesced, however no advanced AAIP such as SQL log processing will occur.

Thanks
SBarrett847
Service Provider
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Stephen Barrett

Post by SBarrett847 »

Much obliged - looks like I might switch to VAW (Server) for smaller Hyper-V customers in future. It works very well with VBR Free (to enable Backup Copy Jobs), and is much much cheaper than Veeam Standard.
Jacv
Novice
Liked: 3 times

Post by Jacv »

PTide wrote: Good news for you - when you trigger VSS snapshot on the host the Hyper-V VSS writer triggers VSS snapshot inside every guest OS (provided that they all have Integration Services installed). In other words - guests' applications will be quiesced, however no advanced AAIP such as SQL log processing will occur.

Thanks
Can I get clarification on this please?

Vitaliys's post about a month later (post237990.html#p237990) said to run VAW inside the guest to get consistent backups VS the host level.

Cheers
Jac
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

I think I can clarify that ;) To get advanced AAIP options, you need to run Agent inside the VM. The "good news" Pavel refers to the fact that when doing VSS backup on the host level, it also triggers VSS snapshots inside the guests which gives basic consistency.
Jacv
Novice
Liked: 3 times

Post by Jacv »

Thanks Vitaliy.

So for a windows guest without AD, SQL etc , is that better than crash consistent?
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

Yes, because chances are there are still some VSS writers installed from *something* so you'd still get application-consistent backups.

Joe
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

It's always better to have application consistent backups regardless of the apps installed in the guest OS.
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

[MERGED] Backing-up an Hyper-v server

Post by marius roma »

A customer have a Windows Server 2016 physical server acting as a standalone Hyper-v server and hosting some Windows VMs.
Can they use Veeam Agent for Windows to backup on a local NAS and restore either the physical server and the guest VMs?
If so, can they use the free version or should they use any other version?
Is there anything else to consider?
Regards
marius
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Can they use Veeam Agent for Windows to backup on a local NAS and restore either the physical server and the guest VMs?
Yes, they can. Please keep in mind that VAW will be be treating the VM as a set of files (virtual disks plus config files) and therefore restores of the VMs will involve some manual work.

Thanks
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Post by marius roma »

On page https://www.veeam.com/agents-windows-linux-pricing.html I read: "Instant Restore to Microsoft Hyper-V VM " - "Quickly restore service to users by starting a virtual machine (VM) directly from a Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows backup file.": what does it mean, exactly?
Regards
marius
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Please take a look over here. Thanks!
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

You can spin-up a VM out of a physical backup instantly, without any preliminary conversions or unpacking.

Thanks!