VAW for backup a Hyper-V host and the virtual guest

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

VAW for backup a Hyper-V host and the virtual guest

Veeam Logoby mc_g » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:23 am

Hi, one design question; will the Veeam Agent for Windows support the backup of the Hyper-V host AND the virtual guests?
Or will it be necessary to install the Veeam Agent for Windows AND the B&R on the host to backup and restore computers in such an environment?
Or can the B&R or another product used in such an environment?
Just for the layout:
Branch location with a Windows 2012R2, which also contains user files and a virtual server for the alarming system
BR
Markus
mc_g
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Gruber Markus

Re: VAW for backup a Hyper-V host and the virtual guest

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:45 pm

Hi Markus,

VAW is not designed for backing up virtual machines on a guest level, elder brother Veeam Backup and Replication is recommended for this level of protection. However, VAW can protect you Hyper V host and VM’s disks as files. If you want to install VAW and VBR on the same machine this is fully supported.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 478 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby mc_g » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:08 pm

Thank you for the quick response, for the design VAW & VBR on the same machine, do you have any best practice? i.e. in the VAW select File level backup and exclude the .vhd files?
mc_g
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Gruber Markus

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:40 pm

It should work out of the box. Just make sure that VAW exclusions are properly configured to avoid the unwanted backup growth (i.e. exclude VM disks if you are going to protect VMs with VBR).
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 478 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

[MERGED] Using VAW for backing up small 1 VM Hyper-V Server?

Veeam Logoby SBarrett847 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:48 pm

Odd Question I know... A question has arisen from a customer asking why could they not use VAW for backing up small 1 VM Hyper-V Server, given that the Licensing is much much cheaper than Veeam Essentials. I honestly didn't have proper answer, other than the Hyper-V VMs / VHDs would not be quiesced and applications processed for backup.

Is there any reason I can give that this might be a bad Idea?
SBarrett847
Service Provider

Liked: 29 times
Full Name: Stephen Barrett

Veeam Logoby PTide » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:04 pm

Hi,

I honestly didn't have proper answer, other than the Hyper-V VMs / VHDs would not be quiesced and applications processed for backup.
Good news for you - when you trigger VSS snapshot on the host the Hyper-V VSS writer triggers VSS snapshot inside every guest OS (provided that they all have Integration Services installed). In other words - guests' applications will be quiesced, however no advanced AAIP such as SQL log processing will occur.

Thanks
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 269 times

Veeam Logoby SBarrett847 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:32 pm

Much obliged - looks like I might switch to VAW (Server) for smaller Hyper-V customers in future. It works very well with VBR Free (to enable Backup Copy Jobs), and is much much cheaper than Veeam Standard.
SBarrett847
Service Provider

Liked: 29 times
Full Name: Stephen Barrett

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows