Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert
Liked: 22 times

VAW Free and B&R 9.5 U2?

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC »

Is that enough acronyms in the subject?

With Endpoint 1.5 I could use the free edition to backup to my Backup and Recovery 9.5 server's repository. Now that Veeam Agent 2.0 is out, there is Free, Workstation, and Server, but from what I can tell, free is unable to backup to a B&R repository. Is that correct? So we must be using a paid support version to continue sending to our existing Veeam repository?

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=20
Managing Veeam Agent License NOTE:
If you have been using Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE with Veeam Backup & Replication, after you install the Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows license in Veeam Backup & Replication, Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE will become unable to connect to the Veeam backup server and create backups the Veeam backup repository.
rekun
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rene Knudsen

Re: VAW Free and B&R 9.5 U2?

Post by rekun »

From what i understand you should still be able to use the free agent, as long as B&R is paid for.

So to wrap it up, you need either a license for B&R or the Agent, but both are NOT required
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You will be able to backup to Veeam B&R repository with Free edition of Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows. The statement above means that after installing its license into Veeam B&R, the previous Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE installation will not be able to do that. Here's the full editions comparison for Veeam Agent for Windows.
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert
Liked: 22 times

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC »

Thanks. When I look at the Agent itself, it says that licenses are managed by the B&R server, and on the B&R server I only have Workstation, Server, or Revoke. I haven't tried revoking a license yet to see what happens.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1566 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

With Endpoint 1.5 I could use the free edition to backup to my Backup and Recovery 9.5 server's repository.
This functionality remains.
When I look at the Agent itself, it says that licenses are managed by the B&R server, and on the B&R server I only have Workstation, Server, or Revoke.
It means that you either installed agent license to the VBR server or to Enterprise manager. You can remove the license completely per this KB article
SynthosKralupy
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Synthos Kralupy

Post by SynthosKralupy »

Dima P. wrote:With Endpoint 1.5 I could use the free edition to backup to my Backup and Recovery 9.5 server's repository.
This functionality remains.
Hmm, I don't think so... I got error with 1.5 agent against VBR 9.5 update 2:

" Error: Veeam agents can only use advanced backup functionality when backing up to licensed versions of Veeam Backup & Replication. "

Pavel.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Can you elaborate when you get this error? Do you have VBR license installed in the VBR console? Some VAW features indeed require agent license but free mode should work without one.
SynthosKralupy
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Synthos Kralupy

Post by SynthosKralupy »

I found notice in documentation (Editions comparsion): "FREE licenses cannot be mixed with Workstation and/or Server licenses within the same installation of Veeam Backup & Replication". And really, if VAW license is added to B&R server, you can't use agent in FREE mode :(

Which is quite sad. I have some agents where FREE license is enough for me and some physical computers where workstation license is necessary at the same time. But I can't use them against same B&R server.
omfk
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Frank Knappe

Post by omfk »

I successfully used VEB 1.5 to backup to a VBR repository (Essential).

No I've updated VEB 1.5 to VAW 2.0.0.700 - Free Edition. Based on everything what I've read before I was under the opinion that I would be still able to backup to the VBR repository. No mixture of VAW licenses, of course. I would like to use only FREE licenses as I don't need the additional features.

Unfortunately I can't connect to the repository. This is the error message:

Unable to obtain a Veeam Agent for Windows license from the backup server.
Unable to establish authenticated client-server connection.

There are still some other servers with VEB1.5 which work fine.
Is my setup never going to work? Or did I missed something? I didn't find anything about installing a free license.

BR
Frank
Technogod
Expert
Liked: 26 times

Post by Technogod »

I've never been able to backup to a B&R 9.5 U2 repository using VAW 2.0 unless I have a Workstation license.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

I have some agents where FREE license is enough for me and some physical computers where workstation license is necessary at the same time. But I can't use them against same B&R server.
That's true. As a potential workaround, you can use two separate VBR servers for FREE and licensed agents.
Unfortunately I can't connect to the repository. This is the error message:
What Veeam B&R version are you running?
I've never been able to backup to a B&R 9.5 U2 repository using VAW 2.0 unless I have a Workstation license.
Can you share the error you get when use VAW Free in conjunction with Veeam B&R as a target?
omfk
Expert

Post by omfk »

Dima P. wrote: What Veeam B&R version are you running?
I can only speak for my case (id#0218740)
VAW 2.0.0.700
VBR 9.5.0.1038 (Essential Standard)

BR
Frank
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Frank,

The provided info in the case details is not correct:

1. Free agent can backup to VBR with VBR license installed
2. Agent can backup to VBR FREE with agent license installed (VBR will distribute licenses to all connected agents in such case)
3. Agent can backup to VBR with agent license and VBR license installed (VBR will distribute licenses to all connected agents in such case)
4. Agent cannot backup to VBR FREE without any license

Regarding the error you got. Please make sure that you have repository permissions enabled and you are using VBR admin account while setting up connection from agent to VBR repository.
omfk
Expert

Post by omfk »

Dima P. wrote:Frank,

The provided info in the case details is not correct:

1. Free agent can backup to VBR with VBR license installed
That's our setup and it is working meanwhile.
Regarding the error you got. Please make sure that you have repository permissions enabled and you are using VBR admin account while setting up connection from agent to VBR repository.
It turned out that I had a stupid typo; not in the password but in the user name:-(
An incremental backup based on a full backup previously made onto a local hdd is now working.

Questions regarding the actual performance will come in a separate thread.

BR
Frank
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Frank,

Thank you for confirming that it works. Cheers!
Luca82
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: lo

[MERGED] Veeam B&R free and veeam agent

Post by Luca82 »

Hi everyone, I would ask you if Veeam B&R free edition could be used as repository for veeam agent (regardless of edition).
Thank you
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Veeam B&R free and veeam agent

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

You should have at least one paid license either VBR or VAW.
Please read the post by Dima P. above with the possible scenarios. Thanks!