Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Kage
Novice
Liked: never

VAW to backup Oracle DB

Post by Kage »

hi all,

i need an advice for backup with VAW. My customer want to backup their Oracle DB (Oracle 11g) servers. They have 2 physical servers to run the oracle application. One server is primary server and another server is standby server. In case of primary server failed, they will manually switch to standby server and usually they will need to recover DB from backup.

Currently they are using oracle RMAN to schedule backup the database to NAS. Current size of DB is 200GB, and they said growth size yearly approx. 100-150GB. As i understand, RMAN is a free tools?

VAW for servers also have Veeam Explorer for Oracle rite? is it similar ways like using VBR, in terms of to recover the application item especially Oracle? Can it perform transaction log backup and transaction-level recovery of oracle db?

since it is involving physical servers, wht is best practice for DR if my customer planning to build DR site? any suggestion or idea? Thanks.
Kage
Novice
Liked: never

Re: VAW to backup Oracle DB

Post by Kage »

anyone can help to verify the answer?
vClintWyckoff
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Clint Wyckoff

Re: VAW to backup Oracle DB

Post by vClintWyckoff »

Kage-
Kage wrote:As i understand, RMAN is a free tools?
Yes, RMAN is a backup & recovery manager that has been created by Oracle.
Kage wrote:VAW for servers also have Veeam Explorer for Oracle rite? is it similar ways like using VBR, in terms of to recover the application item especially Oracle? Can it perform transaction log backup and transaction-level recovery of oracle db?
Yes, VAW will place the Oracle instance in backup mode to take a backup of the entire computer as well as the Oracle DBs at that specific point in time. When Oracle Archive Log backup is needed that can be done too to allow point-in-time recovery to specific transactions. This is configured in the backup job within the guest processing portion of the UI.
Kage wrote:since it is involving physical servers, what is best practice for DR if my customer planning to build DR site? any suggestion or idea? Thanks.
The customer ideally would backup the physical servers several times per hour to the local Veeam repository at the local DC for quick recovery options. Also, have the Oracle Archive Log backup run based on their RPO they desire. Lastly, configure a Backup Copy Job within Veeam Backup & Replication to copy the server backup to the DR site. Important to note that these are backup files, not replicas so the "standby" server should be at the DR site with all patches & configurations that are in production so if recovery needs to occur at DR you there's a server ready to receive the databases.

Hope this helps Kage.