veb footprint - ok for older clients

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

veb footprint - ok for older clients

Veeam Logoby tym » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:57 am

Hi,

I am considering to backup older (4-5 years old) laptops. Now I learned that veb installs an sql server instance on the client, and I am wondering if this renders older computers unusable?
Are there any plans to split veb to client/server parts, where you have one veb server and the clients just run a small agent?

best,
Tim
tym
Enthusiast

Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tim Diekhans

Re: veb footprint - ok for older clients

Veeam Logoby PTide » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:59 am

Hi,

if this renders older computers unusable?
That depends on how old your computer is. Please refer to the system requirements page

Are there any plans to split veb to client/server parts, where you have one veb server and the clients just run a small agent?
May I ask you what, in you opinion, would be the benefit of such separation? The SQL used by VEB is very lightweight. On the other hand, with client-server approach if your server machine is unavailable then your agent will simply stop working.

Thank you.
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 246 times

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:42 am

There are existing topics on the last question, please check them out > Feature Request: Centeral SQL Server and Feature Request: Portable Edition/XML storage instead of SQL
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:31 am

Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:36 am

tym,
P.S. If I were you I would jump the gun and test if the VEB is suitable for old workstations: Endpoint is free and installation is pretty simple, so eventually it is very easy to test and the only thing to keep in mind is the OS requirements.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby tym » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:57 pm 1 person likes this post

thanks to all of you - dima, will definitely give it a try. the benefits of an (optional) client/server structure seem to be well discussed in those threads you pointed me to. so no need to warm them up another time. I just think the footprint on the client should be as small as possible..
tym
Enthusiast

Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tim Diekhans

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows