Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ITSMRI
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: John Schuch

VEEAM 11 and Windows 10 21H2

Post by ITSMRI »

Hello,

I contacted support (case 05160949) and didn't get a full answer so thought I'd post here. I searched for anything with 21H2 and didn't find anything so apologies if there's another topic on this already.

We recently upgraded to VEAAM 11 and were surprised to find it doesn't support agent installs on Windows 10 21H2. Version 10 had no issues with this. Support says there's no ETA on 11 agents supporting this W10 build. But oh, if we upgrade to W11 that's supported and should work fine.

How is it an older version of the product supports this OS build but the newer one doesn't? 21H2 has been in preview release for half a year. The 11 agent has not had an update since October. W10 is not unsupported, can we please get the current version of your product to support active release revisions of production OSes? At the very least can I get an ETA on when this will be resolved?

Thank you.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2288 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: VEEAM 11 and Windows 10 21H2

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Good morning John
How is it an older version of the product supports this OS build but the newer one doesn't? 21H2 has been in preview release for half a year. The 11 agent has not had an update since October.
There was never an official support for 21H2 from Veeam V10. There is a difference between „install is working“ and „officially supported“. Veeam V10 has supported Microsoft Windows 10 (starting from version 1607 up to version 2004).

It‘s always possible that microsoft has done a code change in the last minute before the GA release.

For official support, veeams commitment is to deliver that within 90 days starting at GA release. 21H2 was released as GA 1-2 weeks ago I think. So official support will come, but not from day 1. It needs to be tested against the code, sometimes there is a need to adjust the code.
We all want a working and bug less version from veeam. For that, we have to be patient. In the end, we are thankful for that :)

I think, if you use a vbr server to deploy the agents, it should already work, but with a warning and of course, officially not supported yet.
Find out more about the official support in this topic:
B&R 11.0.1.1261 Agent isn't supported Win 10 (21H2)
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
21H2 has been in preview release for half a year
our quality policy requires a full regression test against the final GA version because vendors (not only Microsoft) change things often "last minute". So the preview version are "nice", but not "reliable enough"

The chances for "within 90 days" are good. We need to fix a few things, but in general, it looks good to support it soon.

Best regards,
Hannes
ITSMRI
Novice

Post by ITSMRI »

Windows 11 has been released for less than 90 days yet it's supported. I'm also not very accepting that it takes 90 days for full testing for a company as big as VEEAM. If that's the answer then fine but it's not a good look at all.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6723 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying here @ITSMRI.

Windows 11 is already supported because it was released 2 months ago. While Windows 10 21H2 is not yet supported because it was literally just released late last month. Do you not find it logical that the OS released long ago is already supported, and the OS released most recently is not yet supported?

Also, no one said "it takes 90 days for full testing for a company as big as VEEAM". Full regression testing cycle without long-term stability tests takes about 2 weeks. Up to 90 days is essentially max wait time until the next immediate release vehicle, for us to include any fixes required for official support. Since we support close to a hundred platforms, OS and apps, their new versions drop randomly pretty much every week. Thus, for each particular one the timing might be really good (when next Veeam update is planned for release in 2 weeks) as well as really bad (Veeam update was just released, so any required fixes will have to wait until the next release vehicle). Which is why we say "up to 90 days".
ITSMRI
Novice

Post by ITSMRI »

The last VEEAM 11 version update was on October 7. Windows 11 general release was October 5. 21H2 has been out for over 2 weeks. I don't see how you're justifying this. I've said my peace, VEEAM will do what it wants. My feedback is it's a bit ridiculous, "long ago" is a 5 week difference apparently. Take it as you will.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6723 times

Post by Gostev »

I wish I could, I just really don't follow what you're saying. For example, Veeam 11 did not officially support Windows 11 until around mid-November.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2288 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi John

Support for 21H2 was released this week :-)

https://www.veeam.com/kb4245
Microsoft Windows 11 and Microsoft Windows 10 21H2 support as guest OS, Hyper-V hosts (as a target for Instant Recovery and SureBackup), for installation of Veeam Backup & Replication components, and for agent-based backup with the Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 5.0.2 (included in 11a P20211211).
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hi folks,

Veeam Agent for Windows 5.0.2 is also avaible at veeam.com as standalone deployment with both Windows 11 and Windows 10 21H2 supported. Feel free to install it and do not forget to share your feedback. Thank you and happy holidays!