Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
AJG2020
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ashley G

VEEAM Agent Backup - Not backing up Folders

Post by AJG2020 »

VEEAM Case: #04433997

Hi,

I am using VEEAM Backup & Replication Community Edition Build 10.0.1.4854 to Backup a Windows 10 Device running Version 2004 OS Build 19041.508 using the VEEAM Agent.

I have configured an Agent Backup Job to Backup specific Folders across a Windows Data Volume (using File level backup) on the Windows 10 Device, with Encryption across the Backup Files on the Repository enabled. The Destination is a VEEAM Backup USB Disk Repository.

The Backup completes successfully without warning or error, but when I compare the contents of the restore point in the Backup Browser or the FLR view against the contents of the Folders selected for Backup, there are multiple subfolders that should have been Backed up that are missing from the restore point.

In fact, out of a total of 3689 Folders included for Backup, VEEAM has only backed up 3635 Folders. Out of a total of 26980 Files in the Folders included for Backup, VEEAM has only backed up 26801 Files.

One example of a Folder that VEEAM Backup is not backing up correctly is a Folder in the below path;

D:\Ashley\My Documents\Personal Documents & Finances\Finances\Payslips\Company Name - Payslips 2014 onwards

If I inspect this Folder within the Windows Data Volume, it contains the Subfolders 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018 which contain PDF Files. If I inspect the same Folder within the restore point using the Backup Browser, VEEAM has only backed up the 2018 Folder. If I restore this Folder from the restore point, sure enough only the 2018 Folder is available.

So far, in an effort to resolve the issue (and because I suspect this is a bug) I've tried;

- Updating VEEAM Backup & Replication (This issue also occurred on a previous version I had installed)
- Disabling Encryption
- Changing compression settings
- Creating a new VEEAM Agent Backup Job with a new Backup Repository
- Different Backup Repositories (Another USB Backup Repository, and a Local Windows Folder)
- Ensuring Folder/Subfolder/File ownership and permissions are configured correctly

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ashley.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: VEEAM Agent Backup - Not backing up Folders

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hi Ashley,

The only idea which comes to my mind is to test the behavior using volume level backup.

In fact, I don't think it's something that we can easily fix over forum posts as debug logs analysis is required to understand what's going on during processing of the specific folders.
Please continue working with our support team in order to determine the root cause of the issue.

Thanks!
AJG2020
Novice

Post by AJG2020 »

Thanks for the response, I'll try volume level backup to see if the results differ, and update the thread.

Let this thread be a warning to anyone using any Backup product - I only picked this issue up whilst completing a few in depth test restores, and I'm glad I discovered the problem during the test restores, rather than during a real recovery situation.

ALWAYS perform test restores and verify your Backups!

If support are able to resolve the issue, I'll post the resolution here within this thread.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Ashley,

I have had a quick glance on the logs package you have uploaded with the case and it looks quite clean. Can you please also collect agent-side logs from C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Endpoint(am I correct that VBR server and agent machine are the same?). Please zip it and upload to the case via my.veeam.com.

/Thanks!
AJG2020
Novice

Post by AJG2020 »

Hi Egor,

Thanks for the reply and assistance thus far, it is appreciated.

I have added the Endpoint Folder in .Zip Format to the Support case. The Backup Job in question is titled 'Weekly Backup to USB'. Yes, the VEEAM B&R Server and the VEEAM Agent are installed on the same Device.

Kind regards

Ashley
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Ashley,

I can see some typical folders are backed up from C:\Users and some(My Documents) are from D:\Ashley.
Just to make sure - you do have a partial profile redirection in place, right?

/Thanks!
AJG2020
Novice

Post by AJG2020 »

Hi Egor,

No Profile re-direction at the moment. I used to have this setup previously, but I have not yet set this up after migrating to this Device.

Cheers

Ashley
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Interesting. Stay tuned.
/Thanks!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

I have a confirmation of an error in my labs and passed the case to QA - currently it is under investigation with RnD.
Meanwhile, can you please open agent-based File-level recovery wizard(one from All Programs > Veeam > File Level Restore, not from VBR UI) and open same backup file using Browse button? See if missing folders are present there...

/Thanks!
AJG2020
Novice

Post by AJG2020 »

Hi Egor,

I have browsed the contents of the restore point using the File Level Restore option/wizard available via All Programs > Veeam. Unfortunately, there is no change - there is still Data missing from the Restore point, that was definitely selected for Backup.

If I open the FLR/Windows Explorer view from the File Level Restore option/wizard, the Data is still not visible/missing from the Restore Point.

Cheers

Ashley
YouGotServered
Service Provider
Liked: 51 times
Full Name: Cory Wallace

Post by YouGotServered »

Any update on this? I am very curious here. Thanks!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

So far case is under investigation with RnD.
I will update this thread when we get some details.
/Cheers!
AJG2020
Novice

Post by AJG2020 »

Hi,

Has there been any update on this yet?

Kind regards

Ashley
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

None so far. Apparently this behavior is non consistent and we are trying to find a root cause.
Please keep case up and expect an answer from support team.
/Thanks!
kokishin
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Koki Shin

Post by kokishin »

AJG2020 wrote: Oct 30, 2020 5:41 pmHas there been any update on this yet?
Hi Ashley,

Have you received any updates or better, root cause/corrective action?

I'm hoping this issue is just an isolated case.

Thanks
AJG2020
Novice

Post by AJG2020 » 1 person likes this post

Hi Kokishin,

Still working with VEEAM Support & the VEEAM R&D teams at the moment.

I've updated to the latest VEEAM Agent Version and I'm due to run a further VEEAM Backup and complete some test restores to see if this resolves the issue.

Cheers
AJG2020
Novice

Post by AJG2020 »

Unfortunately the issue is still not resolved, even with the latest VEEAM Agent Version. I'm still missing Data in my Restore Point that was selected for Backup. I'll be sending the updated logs to VEEAM Support & the VEEAM R&D Teams.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Ashley,

I've checked with QA folks and the case is still under investigation. Please keep working with our support team. Cheers!
AJG2020
Novice

Post by AJG2020 »

Just wanted to post an update back here to this thread.

Despite the efforts of the VEEAM Support Team, the issue is still not resolved. My initial VEEAM Support case was archived/closed (understandably) as there was inactivity on my part over the Christmas/New Year period, but I would have hoped that given my various updates to the case after my inactivity that the Support case would have been kept active, especially given the fact that the VEEAM QA/Development Team were also actively involved in what I feel is a serious issue.

I've since raised a new VEEAM Support case including the details from my previous, archived VEEAM Support case - This was closed automatically in just over a week by VEEAM Support with no response, apart from an automated reply to inform me that 'unfortunately, due to high Support Team load we were unable to process your request and it has been archived automatically.'

I've now raised another VEEAM Support case. Although I appreciate that support for this particular issue is provided on a best endeavours basis (as this issue involves the Community Edition of VEEAM B&R, although I also suspect it would affect all versions of VEEAM B&R) I am heavily involved with the Full versions of VEEAM B&R & VEEAM Office 365 Backup products on a daily basis as part of my current IT career - I can't say I will feel particularly inclined to continue recommending VEEAM as a viable Backup solution given my concerns about its reliability after this issue, and after this most support recent experience.

If I get any further with VEEAM Support, I'll be sure to post back here.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Ashley,

As far as I know on case was closed due to inactivity: support team has requested more troubleshooting information but looks like due to the holiday season we did not receive any answer from you. We are in touch with support and QA team and the investigation process is still running, so please keep working with our support team. Thank you in advance!