Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
carlosxxiiitech
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Carlos Mauricio Ruiz

Veeam Agent fo Windows and Outlook Files

Post by carlosxxiiitech »

Hi Guys,

I'm quite new with veeam, although I've been working with the app the last 6 months, and everithing went well until last week.

Here some context:
I did an installation where I got two Windows Server Essentials 2016. One of it is the client's fileserver (Server A), the other one (Server B) is configured as a file server but it is in a different location to serve as the backup target. I installed and configured Veeam Agent for Windows on Server A, using file level backup with High Compression, and WAN Storage optimization. Everything went well, the calculations were good for the amount of data.

Last week my client, asks me if we could configure a backup for three laptops: Three VPs of the compay. They got some serious information so they need to backed it up and also encrypted it. So I configure the laptops like this:
- File Level Backup
- Optimal Compression
- Wan Storage Optimization
- Encryption.
- The backup target is the Server B. The remote one.

The data were some folder AND the outlook files folder. They need to backup the .pst archives for each VP.

After a week the Server B was full. Every incremental backup of the VPs are almost the same size of the full one. I run some tests on my pc and I guess the problem is with the .pst files. I guess Changed Block Tracking mechanism is not working properly and can't detect and partition the blocks that are changing in the .pst file.

I'd like to know if anyone has this problem, how they fix it (Different than add some more capacity to the target).

Thank you a lot guys.

Regards from Colombia!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Agent fo Windows and Outlook Files

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Carlos.

File level backup will take the entire file version whenever the source file gets modified. Is it possible to configure the volume level backup with exclusions (as in such case the changed block tracking is performed on a block level)? Thank you.
carlosxxiiitech
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Carlos Mauricio Ruiz

Re: Veeam Agent fo Windows and Outlook Files

Post by carlosxxiiitech »

Hi Dima,

As far as I know (Check this out https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=21) it doesn't matter if you configure volume level backup or file level backup, the incrmental backup will perform a pseudo-dedupe. In the file level backup, a volume is created on the target backup, a VSS is taken for the volume where the data that is about backup is located, and during the Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows copies only those data that you have selected to back up.

During an incremental backup CBT compares BLOCKS between the two volumes, the last backup and the new backup. So I guess, that it should de-construct and construct the data.
My guess is right?