Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
lokeshselvam
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 5.0

Post by lokeshselvam »

Hi Experts,

I have installed windows agent in a physical windows machine. My use case is that i must be able to restore the machine bare metal level, and also restore some specific files in the restoration process.

If I selected backup job mode as entire computer and enabled file indexing will I be able to restore in file level also during bare meta recovery, If not is there any alternatives?

thanks in advance!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 5.0

Post by Mildur » 2 people like this post

Hi Lokesh

Baremetal Recovery is recovering the entire machine from the backup file. It doesn't allow to restore a single file from the recovery media in the bare metal recovery process. Only entire volumes.

But you should be able to open the backup files from another running computer with installed veeam agent to do a file level restore.
Restore Files from Backup

File Indexing
By the way, file indexing is not necessary. Only if you use Veeam Enterprise Manager together with a VBR Server.
Veeam Enterprise Manager - Preparing for File Browsing and Searching
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
lokeshselvam
Novice
Liked: never

Post by lokeshselvam »

Hi Mildur,

Thanks for your response , I have a follow up question.

According to my understanding file level restore is a default option in veeam ,Can I know the difference between File level restore done for machines included in guest catalog and also for the machines that are not indexed. ?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Your welcome.
Can I know the difference between File level restore done for machines included in guest catalog and also for the machines that are not indexed. ?
There is no difference when restoring from inside the agent. Indexing is only needed to search through the backup with Veeam Enterprise Manager. If you don't use this feature, you don't need to enable indexing.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software