Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0 - no proxy option

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0 - no proxy option

Veeam Logoby Darkschneidr » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:11 pm

I apologize if this has been asked before, but is it intended that there is not an option to set a proxy for backup in the Windows Agent for servers (used in conjunction with B&R Enterprise Plus and DDBoost repository)?

Right now all of my backups proxy through a mount server, except that I can't seem to do this with the agent. This forces all network traffic for backup through the management server instead.
Darkschneidr
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Darkschneidr

Re: Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0 - no proxy option

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:27 pm

Hi Darkschneidr,

VAW does not use backup proxy. However, if you have a gateway server assigned to your repository it will be used by agent as a connection point instead of Veeam B&R server.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 477 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby Darkschneidr » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:00 pm

Thanks for the response, that confirmed what I was seeing then. I could only target locally mounted drives on the backup server, or the data domain itself via network proxied through the management server.

Can you elaborate on "adding a gateway server"? Right now the agent only gives me the options to point to the backup server, then pick the repository. There isn't an option to bypass that path for data transfer. I looked through the guide for adding a gateway server, and this states, explicitly, that for dedupe appliances (data domain is what we're using) you have to use fiber channel. I didn't plan on a fiber channel deployment for this location since the core is plenty fast enough, but if fiber is the only way to prevent that traffic from bouncing across the VM hosts, then I'm going to have to add HBAs and connect it.

I'm curious why Veeam is so restrictive in this sense - simply adding a proxy option would seem much less complicated, the same way backups work now with fiber fail-back to network. The ability to target that traffic if it needs to go across the network would be much more flexible than forcing HBAs into the server to accomplish the same task. I couldn't target my mount server to setup the job (I tried), so it makes it a little tough to work around.

Also, I'm curious about one other thing, perhaps you know the answer. If ddboost is intended to move the workload of backup from client to appliance in a direct manner, why does it actually have to pass all that traffic through the mount server anyway? Couldn't it just send metadata to the server and backup directly to the appliance itself as long as there is a route?

Apologies for the questions, but I'm new to the product (but, most definitely not new to backup and recovery) and just working out the kinks in a test deployment and need to have it done quickly. I'm still working my way through the post history for similar questions/issues as what I am seeing.
Darkschneidr
Novice

Full Name: Darkschneidr

Veeam Logoby stewy » Fri May 19, 2017 1:51 pm

Same boat here.
Many remote VPN sites without servers, and no way to proxy/gateway the connection to the repository without going to and back from the hub site. Left with setting up the agent with no visibility in the B&R Console.
stewy
Lurker

Full Name: Jeremy

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows