Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Re: Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:41 pm

Frank,

Not yet for Veeam agent for Windows, but there is for Veeam agent for Linux. The beta for Windows is expected soon

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 359 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby frankive » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:45 pm

goodie :)
frankive
Service Provider

Liked: 86 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Veeam Logoby cdlane » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:33 pm

So...to recap... I could install the agent on our single, Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 (Core only) Hyper-V host to backup the C drive? Belt and braces I know but I like to have EVERYTHING backed up...
cdlane
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Chris Lane

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:38 pm

Hi Chris, it seems like I'm missing the context. What is this recap for? Sorry if I missed it, couldn't find your previous posts in this topic.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1092 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby cdlane » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:40 pm

Sorry, kinda thinking out loud I suppose.

It was a rhetorical "so to recap" the previous, multiple, comments in to what I hoped (FAIL :wink: ) was a succinct summery of my planned use.

I know you don't need to back up the host and it's supposed to be quicker to stand a new one up etc but I'm always worried I'll forget the "crucial" step to get the iSCSI initiator back up or the widget attached to the crank shaft etc, wracking my brains to remember what I did last time etc.

Sorry to create confusion (it's a special skill I have :wink:)
cdlane
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:05 pm

Chris,

I do so an issue with the fact that you use CORE as a host (don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of it...) But Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0 won't support core at GA because we rely on components that don't exist in Core. Are you using more core (besides your Hyper-V hosts?)

Thanks

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...

Veeam Logoby cdlane » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:58 pm

Hi Mike,

OK, I can wait as I'd prefer not to convert it to GUI. Are there plans to allow it to run it in Core?

We have 8 VM's running; the 2 DC's and the file server are all core. The remaining 5 are all GUI due to the LoB software running on them.

I'm trying to work out whether it's work backing up the Veeam (VM) server too. Some people say yes, others no.

Thanks for the personal reply too.

Best regards,

Chris
cdlane
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:08 pm

Chris,
For the plans... I'll leave this to mr. Popov to reply... He is the man for this ;-)

For the Veeam server... I personally say no... What I do is make sure I know exactly at what version my Veeam server is (version + update #). I do have a config file moved to another location.

The reason for that is simple... I can rebuild a Veeam server somewhere in worst case scenario (even somewhere on cloud resources if necessary...) Then I can rescan a repository (that hasn't has a Veeam server anymore since it is "dead") and still start restoring very fast... But this is my preference, and my design for DR... Your design can be different and based on different techniques so...
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:56 am

Support for server core edition is not coming in v2, however this FR is on the radar.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby cdlane » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:44 am

Mike Resseler wrote:Chris,
For the plans... I'll leave this to mr. Popov to reply... He is the man for this ;-)

For the Veeam server... I personally say no... What I do is make sure I know exactly at what version my Veeam server is (version + update #). I do have a config file moved to another location.

The reason for that is simple... I can rebuild a Veeam server somewhere in worst case scenario (even somewhere on cloud resources if necessary...) Then I can rescan a repository (that hasn't has a Veeam server anymore since it is "dead") and still start restoring very fast... But this is my preference, and my design for DR... Your design can be different and based on different techniques so...

Excuse my ignorance as I am relatively new to Veeam but do you mean a .BCO when you refer to a "config file" or is it something else and if so where does it live?

Best regards,

Chris
cdlane
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:38 pm

Chris,

BCO file contains your Veeam Backup and Replication configuration backup and should be used to restore your backup server it case of total disaster. If you are referring to VAW central management and configuration via API it will be supported by simple scripting options (import/export of config) and distribution of this configuration via file.

Regarding the core support. It’s not going to be introduced in v2, but it's planned for sure.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 433 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby mathias » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:15 am

HI,

With the new Windows agent, will I be able to backup UNC-shares or are only locally connected disks supported?

/Mathias
mathias
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Mathias Nasstrom

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:20 am

Hi Mathias, unfortunately, no, only local connected disks will be supported, but this feature is still on the radar.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby btmaus » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:46 am

Any update on when this Agent for Windows will be released?
btmaus
Expert

Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Glenn L

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:19 am

Coming soon in 2017. Don’t forget to subscribe to public beta which goes live first.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 433 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows