Veeam Agent for Windows and SQL Clusters

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Veeam Agent for Windows and SQL Clusters

Veeam Logoby JoshuaPostSAMC » Wed May 17, 2017 9:11 pm

I know that today we can backup a SQL Always On cluster by adding all of the VMs in the cluster to the same Veeam job and it processes as expected.

With the Veeam Agent, if I install it on 3 nodes of a separate physical Always On cluster, I can't run them as part of the same job as far as I know, so how is processing handled, as far as primary and secondary nodes go? Will Veeam figure that all out, or more to it?
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert

Liked: 15 times

Re: Veeam Agent for Windows and SQL Clusters

Veeam Logoby skochetkov » Thu May 18, 2017 3:54 pm

Hello Joshua,

For the time being Veeam Agent for Windows supports only single node installation because Veeam Agent for Windows isn't a cluster aware backup product.
skochetkov
Veeam Software

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Sergey Kochetkov

Veeam Logoby wlcu » Thu May 18, 2017 4:58 pm

We have SQL Clusters also, I would like to know what the strategy is for backing up clustered drives? We do fail overs pretty often so it wouldn't make sense to designate one as primary (with all drives being backed up) and secondary (os drive only). That was a suggestion I read somewhere in these forums.
wlcu
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: WLCU

Veeam Logoby JoshuaPostSAMC » Fri May 19, 2017 3:32 pm

+1 request for adding SQL Clusters.

I saw in the VeeamOn presentation that Windows Failover Clustering support was coming, but does that include SQL?
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert

Liked: 15 times

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows