Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Carlos Coque
Lurker
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Carlos Coque

Veeam Agent for Windows Free stopped working

Post by Carlos Coque » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

We've been using Veeam Agent for Windows Free on our Windows 2012 servers for a long time and this product is works perfectly.

However, a couple of weeks ago we started to have issues with one of our servers (the one that also has Veeam Backup and Replication installed on it).

The backup fails and we receive one of the 2 messages below:

Code: Select all

2018-07-31 2:32:14 PM :: Error: The system cannot find the file specified. Asynchronous read operation failed Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: The system cannot find the file specified. Asynchronous read operation failed Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [80603]. Failed to download disk. 

2018-07-31 9:47:09 AM :: Error: The device is not ready. Failed to schedule asynchronous read operation (offset: 1396703232, length: 4194304) Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: The device is not ready. Failed to schedule asynchronous read operation (offset: 1396703232, length: 4194304) Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [3169]. Failed to download disk. 
I tried the following:

- Checking the OS recovery partition (it has 62GB free which is the same free space that other servers where VAW works fine have)
- Uninstalling/reinstalling VAW (it seems it doesn't really uninstall anything because when I reinstall that, history and configuration are still there, even previously deleting the application folder)
- Cleaning and Defragging drives - Scandisk drives
- SFC and DISM Windows
- Backing up separate drives (just C: or D: separately)
- Using different backup target locations (local vs. shared folder)

No matter what I do, I eventually get one of those error messages at the point that VAW is reading C: (between 5GB and 40GB in the task progress).

I opened a case with Veeam (support case ID 03125859), but decided to post it here in case somebody else had the same issue.

Thanks,
Carlos
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Agent for Windows Free stopped working

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Carlos.

Thank you for your post. This error might represent the source disk corruption but to be completely sure please keep working with our support team. Thanks!
Carlos Coque
Lurker
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Carlos Coque

Re: Veeam Agent for Windows Free stopped working

Post by Carlos Coque » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

I tried many steps on the problematic server but none of those has worked.

Then, I decided to open the server and clean it.

It was not that dirty, but after cleaning and turning that on, the backup routine started working again.

I'll keep observing it, but apparently the issue was dust.

I'd like to thank Veeam support for helping me out with the troubleshooting process.

Thank you guys!

Carlos