Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
guitarfish
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times

Veeam Agent for Windows - not seeing all restore points

Post by guitarfish »

I have 6 months of daily restore points, a monthly VBK and daily VIBs for each month. I have the backup job configured to keep 180 days of backups. However, when I do an FLR, it only displays from 11/1/23 forward, just 60 restore points. I feel like the repository needs to be rescanned but I can't see how to do that. (I use Veeam B&R for our corporate backup system, so I am familiar with this, but I don't see how to do it in the free version). I also tried right-clicking the actual VBK or VIB I want to use and then "Open", but it just opens the FLR window, showing only the last 60 restore points.

This behavior exists on multiple PCs where I use Veeam Agent for Windows.  This product isn’t much use if I can’t restore my data.

I opened a case (#07068715) over a week ago and it was auto-closed because no one was available to look at it.

Does anyone know how I can access my restore points? Thanks.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam Agent for Windows - not seeing all restore points

Post by Mildur »

Hi guitarfish

To me, it sounds like metadata file (vbm) only knows about those 60 restore points. Was there a restart of your backup chain back in November?
As a workaround, do you see older restore points if you import the oldest vbk/vib files to a Veeam Backup & Replication (VBR) server? VBR can import backup chains and restoring data from it without providing a VBM file.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
guitarfish
Enthusiast

Post by guitarfish »

I haven't tried it because the data is in a different location than VBR. That said, I'm sure it would work fine. This is very unexpected that the Windows Agent can't do a simple rescan. The backups are essentially stranded. I don't think I can risk this scenario going forward for the dozen or so installations I have. I know it's a free app, but geez, this isn't a good situation.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

The agent requires the information in the VBM file to know about its backups. If the VBM file doesn't have the information about the restore points, then something is wrong.
You can test this out by importing only the VBM file to the VBR server and see which backup files would be available for a restore. Even if the backup files are missing, they should be displayed in the backup console.
I don't think I can risk this scenario going forward for the dozen or so installations I have. I know it's a free app, but geez, this isn't a good situation.
Without troubleshooting the issue in a support case, we cannot definitively determine whether there is an issue or another underlying cause. We have a substantial customer base utilizing the agent, and they haven't reported these issues. If we had less restore points on disk than configured in the agent backup job, we would likely have received feedback in many cases already.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
guitarfish
Enthusiast

Post by guitarfish »

Fabian, thank you for the response. As I mentioned initially, I opened a support case, but it was auto closed. So I'm in limbo with this.